• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Cheapest international courier?

Started by blueskip, June 02, 2011, 13:41:48 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskip

I have had to buy another pole (after stepping on my old one) :( & to get it to Malta I either have to bring it with me next time I fly (which will cost me £40 with Ryanair) most of the couriers I have looked at want pretty much the same for a 2.0kg tube that is 150cm long & 6.5cm in diameter. Does anybody know who the cheapest courier is? With the amount of containers that come in at the Freeport, you would think that it would be cheaper than £40 for 2kg :o
Blueskip

clutch_kick

Blueskip, as a general rule from Italy, getting one rod or five rods, all stuffed in the same tube will cost the same, around €50. 

That's from my experience.
Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.

clutch_kick

Quote from: clutch_kick on June 02, 2011, 13:48:26 CET
Blueskip, as a general rule from Italy, getting one rod or five rods, all stuffed in the same tube will cost the same, around €50. 

That's from my experience.

Your other option is to travel with AirMalta, and you can get away with claiming the rod as sporting baggage, and checking it in as bulky equipment. 

http://www.airmalta.com/page_x.aspx?l=1&p=1672
Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.

robby017

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

benri

If not in such a hurry you could also use Air Parcel Post.
I'd rather be fishing.....

SEAFOX

Yes Robby is correct.....Miles Express (Martin Ferry - 21 240877/8/9) are excellant. They also gave us a full page advert for the mag without uttering a word paying the fee in a couple of days. I do not have the mag with me here but the advert is, if I recall correctly, under " You shop we ship".

I got my 2 S/steel props x 11 kgs a few weeks ago from the US and Miles took care of everything including delivery to my home. They offered the best rate from all couriers. Thier service is top class.
Blueskip, call them for a quote & guidance. In case that u call Miles do say that you saw thier advert on our mag..you never know...we may need them to sponsor next time round.

shanook

I will be calling them as well hopefully tomorrow as it is late now...... as I need quite a few things to bring over hopefully they give me a good rate....I will quote the magazine Colin dont worry

robby017

Delivery Charges
WEIGHT KILOS    RATE inc VAT
Up to 1.00    € 10.50
Up to 2.00    € 14.25
Up to 3.00    € 23.00
Up to 4.00    € 27.25
Up to 5.00    € 31.50

these are the rates of miles express from uk or italy to malta.......

called them today as i ordered a part for my car......

here's the link

http://www.youshopweship.eu/Booking.aspx

SEAFOX

Great Shanook & all - Miles Express deserve some business from our end cos as detailed in my post they sponsored a full page advert in our mag in a jiffy.

They may also provide some form of a discount for MFF members. I will talk to Martin Ferry tomorrow about this issue.....bottom line...they do have a good service which is most important to all of us "crazy chaps" importing fishing tackle et all from outside Malta.

skip

I've used Miles Express through their retail site youshopweship.eu and can recommend them. You need to deliver the product to their UK warehouse and then it comes down by trailer Groupage in around 7 days.

I shipped some bulky and some heavy items and the service was good and price low. Can definately recommend if you are not in a rush.

robby017

i have a car part on the way.... Any discounts appreciated colin... Ps i mentioned our mag with the assistant over the phone

skip

I mentioned the Mag/MFF to Jesmond at Youshopweship and he had no idea what I was referring to lol!!

Looks like we need to speak with Martin Ferry as per Colin's post :)

shanook

Actually when i called a girl answered me and I am going to send an email, but she said that they had a few requests by MFF members. Well done guys.

SEAFOX

Skip - Jesmond is a very nice helpful guy but I do not think that he was involved in the mag advert. When I had a chat about the props with him in their warehouse he told me that he cant tell the difference between a fish and an octopus!:)))

I dealt with Martin Ferry for the advert, who is the "capo" of Miles. I have been trying to call Martin but cannot get tru to him. I left a message with his secretary and am waiting to get his return call..sure guys, I am going to ask for a discount for MFF members, u mela....hope I can manage. Grazzi hafna Shanook for the info.

shanook

I dont care if I get a discount or not.  He helped out with the magazine and he contributed to the Kids so if I am to pay might as well be to someone who has a hearth and cares about others.