• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Top 3 GPS/Fishfinder Combos

Started by robby017, August 23, 2011, 11:40:53 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

robby017

I am looking into finally purchasing a GPS/Fishfinder Combo for our speedboat and I need your opinion.

Whilst not going overboard with a budget of 500-700 euro, which do you believe are the best 3 gps/fishfinder combos on the local market right now....

thanks in advance...

robby   8)
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

The_Gaffer

I'm not sure, but with a budget of 500-700 euros for a combo, I doubt you'll get anything reasonable in that price tag range.  The best 3 GPS'fishfinder combo on the market right now are Raymarine A series, Lowrance HDS series and Garmin, in no particular order.  However, for a combo, you need to up you budget to reach the entry level of these 3 items.  Probably Eagle or Hummingbird make a combo in your budget range.  Else, try this UK site:  www.mesltd.co.uk for some special offers.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

robby017

My personal favourites would be Garmin's, Lowrance and Humminbird 700 series.

will be using the gps to mark spots for fishing and diving and will be using the sonar/fishfinder to get an idea of the bottom....

fisheye

The Hds 5 is around 800 euros with the transom mount transducer  than you will need the map the price depends on your choice of map. I have been using this unit for about 2 to 3 months and I really like it although still a lot to learn about it. Sorry I don't have the option of using other modern units so can't compare, but for some one like my self who is not that much into modern gadgets I found it quite user friendly, Have some predisposed settings which are very useful, like slow shallow trolling or deep sea fishing. If you would like to have a look just pm me   
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

bigboy

You will get the Garmin 521s for that price ;)

EmicMalta

I ve just came from Camilleri Marine. Humminbird have very nice units. I am pulling out to choose between the HDS and the 800 siries and you can talk with the owner very well. Even at CAruana Marine the HDS are very nice too.

If you want we have a Loarence Elite 5 for sale. Send me a pm. Used only 3 times.

caldaland

i was in the process of telling you to have a word with ken of camilleri marine.tell him you are a member of maltafishingforum and you will get a good discount. btw,he is a member too.

robby017

So, its a definite visit to Camilleri to see the Lowrance HDS and Humminbird series and Medcomms for Garmin......

any others?

EmicMalta

HDS Caruana MArine, and Humminbird:  CAmilleri Marine. From my experiance I don t even think for the other brand

bigboy

i do not agree with you Emic.

Garmin are very user friendly and are quite good ;)

Robby jien Garmin ghandi (u int taf xi jfisser u kemm sar jiswa flus ghandi :P + kemm qallani flus)

baghira

Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SteveGB

Robby inti ha tuzah ghal deep sea fishing jew ukoll?
DEADLIEST CATCH{ --> 18.5 ft Ranieri Soverato powered by 100 hp 4 stroke Yamaha & Yamaha Enduro 8hp

EmicMalta

Quote from: bigboy on August 23, 2011, 19:21:38 CET
i do not agree with you Emic.

Garmin are very user friendly and are quite good ;)

Robby jien Garmin ghandi (u int taf xi jfisser u kemm sar jiswa flus ghandi :P + kemm qallani flus)

I ve got the cheapest one from Garmin (Gps 72) and you can t imagine what I ve got saved in it. It worked fine, but nowadays spending all that money I would go for the HDS or for the Humminbird. I think that the 798ci Hd Si Combo http://store.humminbird.com/products/409964/798ci_HD_SI_Combo is perfact as a starting unit with a structure scan. Personally I find fishfinder ony using it as depth finder. Its structure scan is up to 100ft. Just remember that lot of groupers, ajs, dentex are caught by us spearos are below the -30mtr so this is good.

Then its up to you to catch fish

And if its used for deep sea fishing only you can go for even a cheaper one.

Personally i`m thinking for the 898c SI Combo cos over all it comes cheaper then the HDS 7 c/w structure scan

robby017

QuoteRobby inti ha tuzah ghal deep sea fishing jew ukoll?

I doubt Steve....... the only time i'll use it in deep water is when i'm offshore trolling, otherwise, for bottom fishing, up to 150-200m is more than enough...... and for scuba diving, i doubt ever using it for over 50m

robby017

thanks bigboy and emic, will try them out and see what suits our needs best......