• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Squid Fishing from land

Started by jon109, October 09, 2007, 23:10:37 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

jon109

Hi there, i am really willing to start fishing (from land) for squid! Please do forward you suggestions on how this fishing technique is done! aslo can anyone suggest the best colour, brand and size of jig? what line diameter do u usually use?

finally, when do they start fishing for squid?

waiting for your replies,

regards,

jon
Why do fish make men go crazy?

gottie

Best time for fishing squid from land is December-January.
It is best to use a pink yo-zuri squid jig, with a 0.25 or 0.23 line.
Cast the squid jig, let it sink slowly and then retrieve slowly.
Good places are Marfa and cirkewwa, but they're usually crowded in the peak months.

busumark

try this site ciappinu made  http://www.maltabookers.com/fish/squidmalta.asp you can find it on tips and techniques. ciappinu i entered the forum of squidfish.net after about 9 months but still not a lot of maltese use it. i think you were the main contibutor from malta

jon109

real tnx for the information u gave me... that webpage ciappinu made is great too ... good info :) I'm waiting eagerly for my first time fishing for squid! for a start i will now buy a couple of jigs as ciappinu said orange and green seem to be the best!

once again tnx for the info! this forum is really working! you pros. really help us amateurs! tnx

reg,

jon

ciappinu

Thanks, glad the site is of help. I will start going down for squid probably this weekend. Good luck to you all!
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

jon109

thats good news cause it means that the season will soon start! let us know how it went ciappinu !!

shanook

anybody been squid fishing from land since the last batch of bad weather????

redbus9

people are fishing for squid by the side of the cavalieri hotel st julians.went over to see them but they hadn,t caught any when i was there at 7 oclock,but more people were comming as i left
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

busumark

heard of people that are cathing squid from land st pauls bay/cirkewwa area. always windy to go from boat for them

Aab131

Last week I went for the first time fishing for squid. We saw alot of them. Sometimes 15 all together near each other chasing small vopi. Didn't want to bite the lure. Just swam underneath it and as soon as it came close it will turn back. Changed colours and size of lure several times but useless. After almost 5hrs trying at least my friend caught one( around 60cm long) Still disapointed because there were lots. Can anyone help what we were doing wrong. The thickness of the line was .18?

Robert

Pity I'm very busy at the moment - I want to try and shoot a couple!
Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

ciappinu

Wow AAB131. The last time I saw fifteen squids at the same time was 2004. Squid are like that, sometimes they are shy of the lures. Useless to have too many colours, one orange and one green is enough. If you can see them and they don't bite much, stick to a green. Sometimes you have to try and excite them by reeling in the lure a little faster, then slowing it down suddenly. What happens is that they then compete between them and get lost in a frenzy.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

Aab131

As lure ok for the colour the best are green and orange. Is it better to fish for them with the lure staying at the suface or with some weight so that it will sink a little bit? When we saw them we were fishing at Cirkewwa. At the jetty of Marfa it's seems impossible to find a place since there were almost 35 persons trying their luck and it was still 6.30pm!!!

MartinB

Same here been a long time since i saw 15 squid at once!! i usually use a small clip swivel clipped directly to the lure for a bit of weight to sink it a little.me & 3 freinds went for a session in qawra i caught 3 (the others caught around 6 each staying till late) but at around 9pm i got fed up and left early (as usual) cos it was too cold and raining! i think the most important thing to catch squid apart from the lures is a thermos of black coffee with a bit of anisette  :) at least as far as i am concerned!!

Aab131

Finally after 1 whole month trying(went approx 15 times) yesterday I caught 2 from land. Not that big but still turned my day to a posiive one since in the morning I fished for mullet for about 4 hrs and not even a bite.