• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Bottom Fishing at Night/ Early Morning

Started by jon109, October 12, 2007, 22:53:22 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

jon109

Hey guys,

Lately i tried to start using my reel rod! i bought it like 6 years ago but i rarely used it! I have a silstar 3mt rod with a silstar reel! nothing special !!

I went 3 times already and i had no success at all! I only got a couple of small fish, the nicest one was a 10cm xirgien!

Am starting to hate it once again so please help me!!

I used a paternoster rig all the time! however i've done the rig so am not sure about the exact lenghts! I used 30gr weights and 0.25mm mono shimano line! hooks were size 8! as regards to bait i used xkal, hniex ta l-imperjal and hniex tal korea, some white snails (tan naghag) and also shrimps! places i've been to where ta xbiex (exactly near black pearl), exiles and kalkara! I don't know what am i doing wrong! how long does it usually take for a bite? because if after 10min I get no bites i usually start worring that the bait is finished or that i am in the wrong place or that the bait fell (especially when using xkal) during casting!

shall i use a different rig?? if yes what type of rig? any places that are a bit more productive? for example i heard ta xbiex is a good point but shall i cast as far out as possible or closer to land? i am hoping to go again either this sunday or the one after! place still to decide!

waiting for your replies,

regards,

Jonathan :)
Why do fish make men go crazy?

Granitu

well actually for bottom fishing there are far better places and a standard paternoster rig wont help. it is better if you use a running ledger system ( i don't have likn right now for a decent diagram) as it tends to give more productive results. important also is to use flourocarbon or coated flourocarbo lines of small diameter (0.16 should do the job). this may ensure you some decent catches like sargi, tennut and other bottom dwellers

hope that i was iof some help
Good season so far.....

Aab131

Hi Jonathon,

As regards bottom fishing from my part I think yu need to have some patience and luck. As regards the rig yes I think with the running ledger you can catch much better sized fish. I use a line diameter of .16 and during daylight hooks size 11 - 14 and during the night size 8. Next weekend we will go one together. Next week I will sms you and make plans together.

gabaj

Look in the Rigs section of -http://www.ksfamalta.org- and you will find a picture of the running ledger rig.

I also have a question re this rig. Is the wieght fixed or running since it is called so? I know that to most of you this is s stupif question but I am not sure.

jon109

Hey guys tnx for yr fast replies!!

Ok so i will try the running ledger system next time! about the fluorocarbon, do you have any preferred brand? usually they don't state the line thickness but the state the load test! how much should this be... what about hook sizes?

when u cast, should i then reel in to make the line in tension? or shall i leave it untensioned? how does this rig work ?? i mean, how can the line be pulled through the lead? or is the lead running so that when the fish bites it does not feel the lead?

regards,

Jon

PS* yeah andre (AAB) next weekend we'll go for another try! we'll text each other this week

kempy

i always make the line tight that way you will see all bits even the small ones so you should know if you been eaten or not. the weight depends on what condition the sea. So i always build my rigs at home and wait till i get to the sea for the weight.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

jon109

hen granitu, tnx for the info... listen what brand of fluorocarbon do u use? and whats the load test rating? do u suggest any places where i can try? tnx in avance,

reg,

Jonathan

Granitu

i found out that falcon is an excellent flourocarbon coated line, retailed at misterfish.
for flouro carbon, i think it is called samurai, it is a excellent flouro carbon in my opinion.

in terms to places well, qammieh is an excellent place but beware of your car, it is a kahli spot also and extremely dangerous in rough weather. also xrob l ghagin tends to be a good spot for awrat and sargi if commercial fisherman left some
Good season so far.....

jon109

tnx man, by saying take care of your car u mean that some people can make a vandal act?

hehe if so, am sure i wont be going there :) hate these guys who think that certain places are theirs!!

i've already had a bad experience in gozo (xwejni) ... will never go there again!!

Granitu

yes but if you park your car at ghadira they won't do anything.... i went there a couple of times and never had any problems...  still many told me to stay alert....  except that they like very much girls....
Good season so far.....

jon109