• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

Auxillary Motor

Started by cityfish, October 18, 2011, 07:04:07 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

cityfish

Hi Guys,

I need some advise regarding what size the auxillary motor should be for an 19ft Shetland with cabin. The main motor is 115HP. Thanks

kris

Hi cityfish,

At that size of boat I think that a minimum of 5hp is a must. But an 8 or 9.9hp would be a better option. Your decision should be primarily based on how far out you normally go...as a difference between a 5hp or a 9.9hp can be of 1 or 2 knots (maybe 3)...and that means adding an extra 2 or 3 hours coming in if you are really far out.. Another factor you should consider is how much persons you normally are and how much things / weight you normally take with you.

Hope this was helpful...
15ft Marino Atom 450 Powered by Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke Fuel Injection

28ft Luzzu Powered by Twin 45 Hp Perkins

cityfish

benri

Wish I could help Cityfish but apparently there is no hard and fast rule for an auxiliary motor, it's unfortunately more a case of trial and error :(
If it can help my boat is a 19 footer with a 140hp 4 stroke. I have an auxiliary 8hp Yamaha Enduro which in calm seas will reach up to 8 knots maximum. In rough weather it's only a dead weight I guess.
I'd rather be fishing.....

kris

No Problem city fish.

I can give you an idea also. I have a 15ft boat which weighs about 400kg (with motor). If we are 3 persons on board I can manage 4.5 knots with my 3.5hp 2 stroke auxilliary outboard.

toxictuna

21ft bayliner with an yamaha enduro standard prop 8hp 2 stroke - 5 knots good weather.

cityfish

Thanks all of you for your advise :)

kris

cityfish one more thing you should consider is whether or not you are going to leave your auxiliary motor on board. Theft of small outboards is a big problem...meaning that you should either opt for a less heavy outboard and carry it with you...or else you should lock it up safely in a compartment/bolt in to your boat etc

Note that you should also check the correct position on how you should 'store' your outboard as there is a difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke outboards...as if I am not mistaken, 4 strokes should not be placed on the floor with the head facing upwards for a long time but should be stored in an upright position because of the engine and gear oil.

Destination Sea

hi kris i have a 17ft about 1100kgs with a9.8 . i see about 5.5 knots max 6
Marino Iside 500 - Etec 90
Buccaneer 130 - Mercury 20

baghira

Dinghi 16foot.... auxilliary 2 x extendible pedals = .001 of a knot if sea is not rough..... or else towed by some lucky member of this forum... ;D

Wish I had space for one
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fisheye

there are ways how to fix an auxillary motor even on small ribs give a look at this site, page 11 http://www.ibs-boats.com/download/ibs-spares-catalogue-08.pdf  
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

baghira

Not if the back is like mine......
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh