• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

National Big Game tournament 2012?

Started by The_Gaffer, October 17, 2011, 14:42:23 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

I had/have an idea (most of you are going..."Ohh God....here we go again" ::)).  

Seriously, Nick and myself last Saturday had a very long conversation about whether or not the MFF should organise a second edition of the National Big Game Tournament.  Emotions aside, we both feel uncomfortable with the idea of having to dedicate most of our free time to something which although provides a lot of self satisfaction, drains one's mind as much as it drains away one's energy and quality time with the family/fishing/friends.  

My next vision was/is to help a very needy and noble organisation, an organisation that helps over 1000 children and adults with learning and physical disabilities, providing therapy to enable complete inclusion of people with disabilities living in the community, in schools, the workplace and in recreation. I won't mention the organisation for now , as it's still premature to do so.  

Our main event sponsor from previous years has this year informed us that due to a change in policy, they will no longer sponsor the event.  However, a good number of this year's sponsors have already confirmed their pledge to sponsor the event next year, i.e. if it goes ahead. We will of course, onboard a new main event sponsor, and Nick and myself already have made inroads in this respect.

Our (Nick & Myself) answer to holding a National event for next year is more of a no than a yes, given the lack of interest and commitment from members here in organising such a huge event.  A no does not mean a definite NO.  If in the next week or 2 we can be convinced that the tide has changed, and there are people really willing to dedicate some free time to this, then we can all meet up at Caldaland's bar (Sorry caldaland, I know it's presumptous of me, but I remember you had offered) and discuss a way forward.  

We need to act fast though, as we need to advise other potential sponsors to put some money in their budget for next year.  

For now, lets talk about participation and commitment at an organisation level. We can discuss the ins and outs of the tournament later on.  
So this time round, it's you who decide whether or not the MFF should organise this event or not for 2012.  

Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

caldaland

of course joe,the offer is always valid.

ganni

when are you planning to meet up? i am interested in attending
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

The_Gaffer

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your interest.  the Question is not when, but if. 

We need a number of people to orgainse this.  The way forward is to have two working groups.  One takes care of the actual tournament, the other looks after the organisation, sponsorships, magazine, media touchpoints, fund raising, ect.  The later group has to start early, while the actual tournament organisation group are more inclined to ramp up their work around March 2012. 

_\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

digger0579

HI,

If the Big game tournament will be organised my team will attend. It's my first time attanding a forum event and would like to see more of these events here in Malta so I encourage all the people here with boats and even those without boats ( they can join other boats as crew ) to come as many as they can. the more we are the nicer the vent will be.

team Manatray  ;)
Petecraft 17 Sport with Suzuki DF90..............

L-Ghaxqi

I wish to participate...but unfortunately i have no boat :( I will ask my friend if he wants to participate :) Will post later on...what does this event consist of?

shanook

I think that at the moment its not a matter of attending or taking part in the tournament, I assure you there are a lot who will participate. The question at the moment is '' Is there anyone interested in forming part of a committee that will take care in organising this event'' Most of the work has been done in the previous year, so the foundations are there and the new committee will improve on last years competition.  I am sure that the gaffer and Nick will be there to quide and help but there is need of more people for an event this big.
So those who can dedicate some free time, even if they are new to organising a competition, and are willing to help please step forward.

Cheers

The_Gaffer

Well said Shanook.  Its a pity that following the great success we had this  year, next years' edition may not go ahead.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, its not a matter of having participants, but having people dedicate some of their free time to organise this event.  Unfortunately, following dicussions I had with Nick, there doesn't seem to be alot of interest coming from the forum in this respect.  Its a great pity, as most of this year's sponsors were and are still willing to support the National Big Game tournament for 2012. 
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

toxictuna

I would be somehow interested in helping out. Commitment will be 100% but this comes out of my hobby time, so depending on my work load at the time which varies quite a lot, I can offer what free time I have. My question, which maybe would get others interested, is what kind of help do you need and what hours a week would one expect to dedicate. I know there is no straight answer just a general idea.