• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Choice of Auxiliary

Started by malvizzu, October 28, 2011, 13:49:58 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

malvizzu

I am seriously considering installing an auxiliary engine as a back-up for my 14 footer. Boat: Petecraft 14 Open. Main engine: Evinrude 50HP ETEC. Initially I was thinking of a Tohatsu 6HP 4-stroke, which is the lightest in the category, but my mechanic said that they suffer from "tittaqqab il-blokka" [translation please !!] My mechanic is suggesting a Honda 5HP 4-stroke. He has one and finds it very reliable and economical as, besides back-up, he uses it for trolling as well. Service, he says, is very straight forward. My preference is a Suzuki 6HP which, although bigger than the Honda, is lighter (25.9kg vs 27.7kg). Unfortunately, Zarb Stores do not have any in stock and said it would probably be available sometime in February, depending on the Yen. What are your opinions?
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

bigboy

Malvizzu, i would go for something in the range of a 5-6hp as you are after. It should be enough for you boat. What i would also consider are yamaha / selva.

What you should really descide on is if you will be using it for trolling (which i do not recommend as your motor is very fuel efficient and allows you to troll for hours at slow speed) or just as an auxilliary in an emergency.

In my opinion an aux engine is a must on a boat. By saying this i am contradicting myself as i was a great fan of a single engine just until my engine failed some 3 weeks ago on my way in from fishing. I have an aux fitted on my boat which i never took care of but am currently installing a rudder infront of its prop since now i would not feel comfortable fishing offshore with just one engine.

toxictuna

enduro yamaha seem to be very popular and reliable. never found a bad review in fact i bought one and I am happy with it.

malvizzu

@Bigboy - yes, my main concern is as an auxilliary in an emergency. My ETEC is very fuel efficient as you correctly stated.

lazyfisherman

Since you are so concerned with weight, I guess you have your boat on a mooring and intend to take the engine back home after each fishing trip. Otherwise if you regularly trail and launch your boat or keep the auxilliary on the boat while it is moored a couple of kg here and there should make no big difference.

If this is the case it also depends on how strong you are -I personally would not be at all comfortable (or safe) clamping on or removing a 25kg+ engine from a moored boat especially if the sea is choppy or there is the wake from passing boats.

skip

Let's be honest guys, if you're in a 14 foot boat you are in territorial waters or closer. I personally would rather invest in a good fixed VHF with a good sized antenna, and nice complete sets of flares and perhaps a €250 PLB than go through the hassle of an auxilliary once you already have an engine good for slow trolling.

If the main engine stops and you've exhausted efforts to restart it I would use the VHF and call for help. With a PLB you have the added reassurance in case of communication problems. I know everyone is different and perhaps you prefer to remain independent but its a right hassle removing it each time for very occasional use

bigboy

But Skip why hassle someone else to come for you ???

lazyfisherman

I don't have much experience since I only fish within and around harbours from a 10 foot boat (apart from shore fishing). However even here I would never go out without a decent pair of oars as backup.

I know that some people would go anywhere with a single engined boat but personally I would not feel at all comfortable going out even just 3 miles or so (let alone 12 miles) with a single engine. Call it a lack of guts or being over-cautious but I  would never dream of going out to sea without the peace of mind of having a well maintained second engine.

skip

Quote from: bigboy on October 29, 2011, 18:09:50 CET
But Skip why hassle someone else to come for you ???

It's a 50:50 hassle........someone comes for you (eventually) or you stay hassling with either a) removing an aux each time or b) having it hanging off the boat making it look ugly and upset the weight distribution/balance.

On my 18 footer it looked real ugly let alone a smaller boat. But its a matter of individual preference. As for aux, I didn't like the Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke as it had a crap tilt mechanism that didn't lock in place when it was up with using a bungee or someting else. Tohatsu make the small engines for Merc/Mariner so ignore those too.

shanook

A friend of mine (May his soul rest in peace) had 3 engines on his 21ft luzzu. not 3 cheap but three volvo penta inboard engines. We used to go out and on one occasion we had 2 engine failures, so we came in with just the one.
What I am saying is that u can have a spar,e but the unthinkable can happen. If the Aux engine sits there not used it might give u trouble when u need it.
So I think that a PLB should be the top item in the shopping list, a VHF and flares.

malvizzu

@ Lasyfisherman - yes my boat is on mooring and but definitely I will not remove the auxiliary to take home. Too much hassle and fatigue. I too have a pair of oars from my tender boat which I carry with me, but believe, they would be of no use.

@ Skip - I have fixed brand new Lowrance VHF with a 1m antenna and brand new set of flares plus some extras which a friend gave me. It's not a case of remaining independent. I have no assurance of someone coming out for me if I stop. Even on the authorities I do not count as I know of people who were stranded at sea, called the forces for help and were completely ignored or came late. If I'm not mistaken, one of them is my friend Busumark. Recently even BigBoy (am I right Big ?) became stranded with his single engine failing and I don't think he liked it a lot. And he's by far much experienced and gutty then I am.

Yes, I must admit I don't have much guts going far out and I am over-cautious. I would like to start some deep bottom fishing but definitely would not dream of going out with a single engine. As far as Shanook's post of 2 engines out of 3 failing, than nothing can be overchanged if it's one's destiny to happen so.

yogi

you can have engines as much as you like , but it will not insure they will not fail , some contamination in fuel or dirt in the tank , or even a rusty tank , if steel will make your engines stop.  also about aux engines as i agree whit shanook ,, if not started frequently valve springs will suffer or even a valve sticking and also fo injectors can fail  on diesel , i seen any type of engine failing in any way.

lazyfisherman

At the end of the day everything can happen but my two cents worth is that two engines are always better than one. Of course both need to be well maintained.

With the auxilliary more or less permanently mounted on the transom there should be no reason or excuse for not starting it frequently. Ideally it should be started and tested on the way out whenever going fishing a good distance away from port.

Having an auxilliary that is started by a rope pull will avoid problems of battery failure while having a small separate plastic 12 l fuel tank for the auxilliary will mean that there are two independent fuel lines minimising the risks associated with dirty fuel, rust in the tank etc.