• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Fishing-Guide ?

Started by Raf, November 20, 2007, 16:35:00 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Raf

Hello friends,

My name is Raffie im Dutch and im Living in Norway.
In 2003 we moved to Norway to set up a Travel-Agency for Sportfishing.

Now we have a lot of guests and we are both Fishing-guides in Norway, als Sportfish-instructor.

But............ we are sick and tiried form the cold and bad wheater here !
So we want to move out from Norway and start over again in a other country.

So thats how i came here......

Do you guys think there is a marked for turists from Holland, Germany and Belgium, to come to Malta for a fisching Holiday ?
Than ist maybe a good idea to move to Malta for us.

We are good with all these guests and i think we cam bring more turist to Malta.

What is your opinion ?

See my site: http://www.vakantie-noorwegen.nl
and www.zeevisland.com

All in dutch but you can click here for fish-pictures:  http://www.zeevisland.com/Noorwegen/Visvakantie--2007.htm

greets Raffie

skip

Hi Raffie,

The biggest problem with the Med. is that basically it's over fished, which is especially true in Malta and the surrounding area. That isn't to say there aren't fish to catch, but in relation to other fishing destinations, I would say its difficult in Malta. Given the high costs of boats, marina fee's and above all fuel costs, that makes charters very expensive. To get some really good fishing, you would need to spend 2-3 days on a decent sized vessel and go somewhere like Medina Bank, or towards Lampedusa etc and that comes at quite a cost premium.

I don't really do much shore fishing myself though I know many people do, but I think in terms of a fishing holiday it would be more productive if done by boat rather than from shore. I feel the problem in Malta is the heavy use of long lines as a fishing method and around shore nets that catch everything, so aside from the general notion that the Med is over fished, around Malta it's even more the case. Deep bottom fishing seems very productive and could perhaps be a better solution to trolling due to the lower running costs involved, although initial equipment cost certainly isnt low for electric reels etc.

It might be doable on a small scale, but I'm not sure it would be as a primary source of income, although maybe others might argue differently.

Skip

Raf

Hai Skip,

Thanks for the very good e-mail !

An e-mail where i can learn something about the country, so thanks a lot !!

Its a shame that the fishing is going down, there is a big marked for sportfishing waiting.

If you hear something about other countrys, just send me a e-mail.

And if you want fishing in Norway, just send me a e-mail.

greets Raffie