• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

BBQ Friday 24th - Those coming please add yourself to this list

Started by skip, August 23, 2007, 11:05:56 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

dcassar

Sorry I could not make it guys...I recognise a certain Chantal in the first picture............

EmicMalta

Quote from: dcassar on August 27, 2007, 19:36:10 CET
Sorry I could not make it guys...I recognise a certain Chantal in the first picture............

Sure mate. Chantal was with her mother Caroline. They came as guests and it was the first time fer them too, to meet the forum staff. Mario and I where invited to be with them for another BBQ, but it had been postposed to another day with no regret. Also for Mario and I was the first time to meet you guys. BB Q's are nice so we can share and meet each other. This time,we had fish for every one, but next we try to do some better for more saragi. Or maybe for another nice amberjack, we can do the same. BBQ it. What do you thing SimonG? We need to catch another big one hehehe!!!!

Edward

Robert

Yeps...was a great night out with a lot of fishy talking going on. So when are you planning on catching your next monster Ed?  ;)
Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

EmicMalta

As you know Robert I'm in bad, and think I will not dive for these weeks. But at September I always use to see some big ones. I pass the whole month diving on the same place, maybe they come with the small ones. The one I saw last year, on reef less then 15mts was of around 55kg but didn't got enough line in the reel and so I didn't shoot. I was doing an aguato for some nice xilpa, and when i was only 2 mts under the surfice waiting one of the fish to be covered by the rock, I raised my head and just saw it passing by. The only place on her body where I could had shoot was on her tail but was afraid of hurting me due to just 20MTS of line. With a giant like that one should take his safety as a priority. If the shoot was on her gills I for sure will have  triggered but if you doesn't hit it god it might come against you like a jet. Tried to knock with the handle to the rocks may be i take her attention but it just took a look and kept going away.

The year before I meet 2 amberjacks, one of 25kg and the other of 35kg (around) but I was at the surfice and my technick was totally different, and  used to be scared as they saw me doing the dive.

I will try this year month not to shoot on saragi, but just wait for big fish. This was the wrong with me. I used to go for saragi, and sometimes I had also twice my fishkeep, but always loose some big fish. Sometimes an amberjack, barracudas and also dentex.

But for sure if one of use cathes something big, we will BBQ it!!

Robert

My problem is exactly the opposite...in summer I do not often target white fish like sargi (I only do it to catch something every now and then). I am always dreaming of AJ...it's not the first time that I do an aspetto in a spot I think is good for AJ and when a nice bream appears I do not shoot it to be ready for the AJ when it comes..the problem is that the AJ still rarely comes  ;D
Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

EmicMalta

As you told me on that private mail, that's the reason at what I was saying. You went there for saragi not with an idea in your mind to catch big fish only. For me that 3kg mullet is really nice,nicer then a barracuda or a 1kg saragu. It gives you more satisfaction. It's not matter where you are, but how you are in your mind. I'm still new with apnea and some technique but use to learn a lot from others.

I use to have my speargun only (with all my  safety staff) and nothing else. As I use the 90, I know the limit of the gun and work on them. As I use the 106 I use different technique. This helped me not to loose any preys at this make the difference when I am getting out from the see. Where you was spearfishing this morning, SimonG used to catch a lot of nice fish from there, also 5kg Amberjacks.
It's better to catch 1 nice fish a week instead of a lot of sargi. Sometimes it's nice to go for sargi and have a nice full fishkeep, but that leave it for when having a BBQ ;) or a dinner with your family or friends. Last year I caught a lot of fish, even use to catch nice parrot fish because for BBQ are nice too and can say I arranged my technique too. But the fish I had lost where too many, barracudas, dentex and amberjacks. Maybe if I be good I will arrange for another big one ;) ;) ;)

Edward

EmicMalta

hey, what do you think if we where doing the BBQ yesturday ??????