• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

gel coat repair

Started by toxictuna, April 30, 2012, 18:14:46 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

toxictuna

I need to repair my boats gelcoat from some scratches. I have used plastic padding (yellow box with two toothpaste like tubes inside) in the past. This time it is abit more challenging since it needs to be pigmented blue to match the surrounding gel coat (ie. the boat is mostly blue). I have read that this product can be pigment but I do not know how, I already tried clothes dye (dylon) and a liquid die but to no success as it does not mix well with the product. Any ideas what pigment I should be using/looking for? or may be where I could buy some ready made stuff (already tried crown fibre, gauci borda, coliero, petecraft)

Breathless

Check out youtube mate there are loads of vids of how to repair gel coat... Really well explained

The_Gaffer

@toxictuna.  Go to any boat builder, and ask them to give you a few drops, (I mean literally a few drops of gelcoat blue pigment colour.  Prepare the white gelcoat as you would normally prepare it for repairs, the add ONE drop of blue pigment to the mixture.  Mix thoroughly and continue adding ONE tiny drop by brop and mix until you get the desired colour.  Proceed to repair!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

baghira

silvercraft luqa has many colours of gelcoat pigment...
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

skip

Who built your boat. As the tint of all gelcoat tends to vary in each production cycle, builders are supposed to keep aside a certain amount for repairs etc although that doesn't always happen. It would cost them very little to ship a small tub with every boat, or offer it as an option.

Exterior gelcoat will fade more than the cockpit but gaffers technique sounds like a good way to get close.

toxictuna

the boat is a bayliner but it is surely faded after some years. I will try at silvercraft. to what do you add the pigment to the plastic padding or to some gel coat i need to buy,

The_Gaffer

You add the colour pigment to the gelcoat mixture you're preparing to do the necessary repairs with.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

baghira

aw man... mur ghand silvercraft u jghidlek kollox hu mhux ahjar......

toxictuna

hekk nghamel... ghal gudja mela...

Granitu

sa fejn saf s silvercraft m ghadux il gudja, qijed il marsa vicin l fabbrika tal petercraft
Good season so far.....

baghira

Hekk hu. Industrial estate luqa.