• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Imsell (gar fish)

Started by Simon G, August 12, 2006, 16:12:46 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon G

I think it is about time we start catching some garfish as lampuki are being caught

The way i catch them is using a 7mt carbon hand rod 18line and size 10 barbless hook
as bait i use small sections of vopa or sawrell (which ever i catch first)

method i let the line out with the wind and drag it on the surface creating a wake and wait for the fish to bite once it takes the bait wait 5 seconds and pull it up.

any other suggestions.
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

ciappinu

That's exactly how I use to catch them, and its lots of fun too. My brother used to catch the bigger ones by casting far out half a 'Kurunella', about 50cm below the float. He had a particular place for them, about half way the Bugibba Jetty. I also saw a lure with no hook. It's like Velcro, and it sticks to the garfish mouth. I only tried it once, and didn't get lucky but I guess it will work. Garfish also go crazy when you troll with a very small shiny spoon. However my prefered method is Simon's method. Actually you're supposed to chew the fish you're using as bait before!
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

Dakaras

These Gars the same as we get in UK?

Also when you mention methods "vopa or sawrell " what are these? And how should I catch them? Ive googled them but can find no pics

Simon G

as for garfish they are the some
vopa is bouge or boops boops
sawrell is scald fish

busumark

this year seems to be a lot of imsell. caught some from gnejna and imtahleb. but today went xemxija, ghadira and marfa and didnt see one. anyone fishing in those places have seen imsell?

Simon G

yes at fekruna buggibba qawra and loads in comino

Robert

saw some shoals round xemxija - but they were all very small
Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

busumark

there were some imsell at cirkewwa today but only the small ones come close to shore.

kempy

how big to they get and what is the method for catching them?
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

Robert

The best method for catching them is as outlined by Simon in the first post - personally I never caught one like that (never tried) but all the people I know who have caught garfish have caught them that way.

busumark

they can grow more than half a metre in lenght. you catch big ones but only from imtahleb never caught big ones from fekruna/ghadira/cirkewwa. with the imrejkba maybe you catch a big one from these places. Simon G method is the best and when there are a lot of small vopi going for your bait u use the fat(grass) of streaky bacon as bait because the vopi will not pull it of the hook because its hard. once the imsella takes the bait you pull the rod the opposite way the fish is swiming otherwise if you pull the rod the same way the fish is swimming you take the hook out of its mouth and wont catch it.

kempy

and you can eat them??? whats the best way to cook them if so . sorry for my ignorance never seen these things
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

Robert

I heard that grilling is best

lizz

At what time is the best to fish Garfish?
Thanks
If the weather permits what you are waitng for? GO Fishing/Spearfishing

busumark