• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

New to coastal fishing

Started by pjones, May 17, 2012, 07:03:18 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

pjones

Hi I would like some tips on coastal fishing.
My equipment is (and please tell me where I have gone wrong).
2.30m fishing pole.
3 bearing fishing reel.
0.40mm line.
size 7 hooks
40g air lock weight.
Bait - hniex
Powder cheese bait

fisheye

0.40mm main line for shore fishing is a bit too much. Go for 0.20mm main and 0.16mm terminals 20gr to 40gr lead will be great, with the bait your right but also try pink shrimps from fish shops not the tinned once. Yesterday on my way to Mellieha I saw some activity on the St Paul's sandy beach. You might want to give it a try there too.       
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

bahri

You might want to try coastal fishing in the various bays after some rough weather to target those fish (qawrat) that escape from the fish farms! I think we will see alot of fisherman around the bays after the last couple of windy days.
For those new to coastal fishing it should be good fun!
GL

pjones

Thanks a lot for the great tips ... is coastal fishing at night recommended and is hniex a good night bait ?

pjones

Ta Xbiex... near Black pearl .... disaster ;(.

bahri

Quote from: pjones on May 17, 2012, 16:02:31 CET
Thanks a lot for the great tips ... is coastal fishing at night recommended and is hniex a good night bait ?

Yes hniex is probably the best bet for night coastal fishing! There is also the "imperjall" type which is supposedly better but might be an overkill for coastal fishing. Personally I find it overrated!

pjones

I tried using blood worms too but still nothing not even a bite. I spent about 10 euro in bait casting. I tired mixing them together for a better odour but "ghal xejn". I don't know I f I just cast the line or lure it in. I even tried putting a small live fish that I only caught andi to the hook in and could not take it out so I used it as a live bait and still nothing.