• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

emergency call while out on sea with no spare engine?!!

Started by bahri, May 17, 2012, 13:11:41 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

bahri

Guys,
Kursita and I hope I am not asking for trouble ... in case of engine trouble  (or other emergency for that matter) is the norm to use VHF channel 16?  or can one call the AFM? Any ideas of costs? Is there a similar scheme to roadside towing offered for marine? does an insurance normal cover or can you take out an insurance cover for such eventualities?
thanks
B.

malvizzu

Very interesting question. Answers would be much appreciated.
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

Granitu

Good season so far.....

Pauline Tuna

Few days ago met a friend and he mantained a distress sign 14 miles out west area with his boaton a Sunday morning. His fuel tank leaked out diesel (gas oil) and he had no bunkers on board. He was given a document to sign prior towing to Birzebbuga iwo, Marsaxlokk Port by AFM. An approx cost of Euro 400.00 was applied and beacuse it was a Sunday this fee was accounted for.....MAY I ASK HOW MUCH DOES THE ILLEGAL IMIGRANTS COMING BY BOATS AND TOWED TO MALTESE PORTS PAY ??....

malvizzu

Very good observation Pauline. Us national citizens, paying taxes and NIS, have to pay good money when in distress, and illegal and unwanted immigrants get it all for free!!!!!

bahri

Bir-rispett kollu I don't see the relevance of my question to the immigrants situation!  Hemm bahar jaqsam!!!  ???

Anyway, I did some further research on the topic and have the following information which is from a very reliable source :

For distress in coastal waters it's channel 12, if your offshore, then it's 16 and 12 for Valletta radio.  If you are in distress, like taking in water then assistance is free. If you broke down in calm sea and require a tow, there is a charge per hour but not too excessive. Used to be LM 60 per hour 5 years ago. In case of distress, you should also be able to call the AFM operations centre directly if in mobile range on 22494000, 21824220, 21809279. But best check these numbers!

I am expecting an answer from the insurance if such a cost is covered or optional.

Fair winds!

Bahri

Pauline Tuna

Bahri...thanks for the info....if you say so - its correct - you have alot missing !!  Assuming and wishing u never be in distress, try it and you experience a total diffirent story than mentioned above....

baghira

Nice peace of info.
It happened to me some 5 years ago...
I was 3 miles out and I called AFM and someone told me that it is free.

I was asked if I was in an imminent risk of death. I was surprised and asked it depends !!!! If I had to stay some more time under that sun, it could be that i would be in an iminent risk....

Anyway I was towed back, and had to pay a per hour fee which consisted of about 100 euro if I remember well, and we were given some discount due to the fact that we were 2 poor people on a small boat and the soldiers were really nice.

No i would ask, Is this fair/??
I may think yes, due to the fact that there are a large number of boats registered here in Malta and somethimes they do fail...and should they come and tow everyone for free??? Mind that these resuce boats/ships consume a large amount of fuel, payable from our taxes.
But sometimes I find very funny that then if you are in risk of death they tow you for free! Does this mean that i should wait for a couple of days out there before calling???
Better not...

Maybe they should put different rates for towing, depending on the length of the boat....If you have a larger boat, I will consume more fuel to tow you, and you have more money than me if you can afford it..
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

baghira

Guys this is very important:

I just called AFM and told me to call on 22494202.....or much better call Emergency on 112 and they will put you with AFM and the mobile will call even if out of range or if you have no credit....They said that they have a system that you will be able to call even if you are in a car park with no reception..
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

malvizzu

Bahri / Baghira - Thanks for the info. Worth keeping details handy on the mobile.

malvizzu

I keep these numbers handy in my mobile just in case of emergency:

Air Squadron 21244372
Civil Protection 21462610
Maritime Squad 21238797
Sea Rescue AFM 21809279

skip

To be rescued there is no charge, but they are not obliged to tow you in (Salvage your vessel). If you do want to take them up on that option, then you sign a disclaimer probably against damage etc and have to pay a fee.

If you leave territorial waters (12nm) and you informed Valletta Port/Malta VTS of your intentions you are supposedly charged less, but if you didn't and still need to be towed the fee is even higher.

Within territorial waters its probably a flat rate, but I would very much expect this to be covered by the insurance companies for sure if the breakdown was not due to neglet/bad maintenance as there are various clauses in the policy.

Migrants are towed, but not for free because their boat is then seized and sold at auction which I guess is done to recover some of those costs.

I would always call on VHF 16 or 112 on mobile which you know is recorded. The only 112 features I know are these: If base station is full it kick 3 ppl off to make way for the emergency call, 112 boosts either the phone output or something of the sort

caldaland

there is one significant difference between rescuing illegal immigrants and us.
whilst we get in distress by accident the immigrants do it on purpose.
with all due respect of course.

digger0579

hi guys,

is anyone insured with middlesea ? and do they cover such expenses ?

T&R
Petecraft 17 Sport with Suzuki DF90..............

bahri

Quote from: digger0579 on May 18, 2012, 13:53:56 CET
hi guys,

is anyone insured with middlesea ? and do they cover such expenses ?

T&R

No Middlesea do not offer this cover and my understanding is that they are currently considering it as an option. However it seems that Atlas offer this as part of their comprehensive cover. I quote "Cover under a Comprehensive Policy extends to include Salvage Charges in which we will pay all the sums which you shall become legally liable to pay and shall pay in respect of salvage charges". Best to always double check.

cheers