• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Recreational BFT permit.

Started by Gogo, May 21, 2012, 15:46:06 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Gogo

Hi all those interested,

Following the Federation and FCD Officials meeting on the 7th May 2012, the Fisheries Director General decided that all recreational fisherman BFT permit applicants will benefit of the 1500 Kilos quota allotted to recreational fisherman. If this quota is reached then no further Tuna can be landed.
Catch is limited to one Tuna 30 kilos and above or 115cm length  each trip.
The permit will be valid between mid-June to mid-August. The dates will be published by the FCD.
Only trolling is permitted. Any form of Tuna fishing close to Fish Farms is prohibited.
Fisheries Officer must be informed before landing.
Before Departure in the morning Fisheries Department must be informed.

As several recreational fisherman including MFF Officials and the Federation itself did not know of the issue of BFT Permit, the Federation is still involved in discussions  to try and include persons that last year applied for the permit and did not apply this year. We hope that within a few days this issue will also be solved.

Fingers crossed
Regards

Gogo.

fisheye

That makes much more sense although I can't understand how one can know that he is going to catch a BFT before actually depart from port. But good luck for the lucky once. May I ask if catch and release will be permitted out side the quota.
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

bigboy

how can we apply for the permit ?

toxictuna

I did not apply last year cause missed it , also this year. I think I am not the only one from comments I read in the forum does it mean I cannot fish for tuna this year . who comes up with these limitations? why do they make such a limit? does not make sense and IS  unfair imo

skip

Excellent I am glad to hear that Fisheries have recognised the need to allocate the quota across all interested recreational fishermen as had been suggested in the past and again this year.

Do they have a contact email address where interested people can send in their details?

bigboy

Got a call from the FCD. Was asked whether i would like the permit as i had applied for it last year.

ganni

"Before Departure in the morning Fisheries Department must be informed."

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???

What do they think....That I'll know in anticipation that I'll be hooking up a BFT?
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

ganni

Daqt ikollna nghamlu ACTION PLAN qabel ma tibda is sena ghas sajdiet li behsiebna nghamlu u kemm behsiebna naqbdu hut
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

Pauline Tuna

I suggest to wait a few days more and see the outcome for the meetings being held at the fisheries re the Tuna permits, allocations and conditions.  It is being intensively discussed and arrangments are being done.  For sure the permits are allocated to the MFC permits only.

The_Gaffer

Quote from: ganni on May 23, 2012, 09:51:31 CET

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???

What do they think....That I'll know in anticipation that I'll be hooking up a BFT?

I think that is just a typo error...misunderstanding I guess. 

However, these requests are a reality..although highly unusual.
I used to work in Milan about 12 yrs ago, and broke my foot playing football.  Coming back home on Friday from Malensa airport, I requested a wheelchair as its a very long walk to the gate.  The lady attendant told me that I needed to book a wheel chair 48hrs in advance.  I politely told her that I had just broken my foot last night, and if I knew beforehand that I was about to break my foot, I would have taken the necessary precautions to not go and break my foot in the 1st place!!.  Needless to say, the young lady was lost for words, but she did provide a caddy to take me to the gate!!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Gogo

Today I as Federation representaive of recreational fishermen which up today includes MFC and 'S' registered boats, had a final meeting with the FCD Officers re BFT recreational permit. Following the misunderstanding between FCD and Fishing Recreational organizations, it was decided that together with  those who applied this year will be included Boats registered last year.

The 1500 kilo quota is available amongst all the applicants untill exhausted.
Further conditions and details will be forwarded to each participant by the FCD Officers.

For coming years Recreational organizations will be informed of issue of applications. Information will be put on MFF and Federation website.
Interested persons have to look at these notices and even inform other colleagues. I suggest that all recreational fisherman pull one rope otherwise our hobby 'Bye Bye'.

Gogo.

The_Gaffer

@Gogo - Well done & thank you for this initiative.  At least we get to keep any BFT we manage to hook up, as long as it satisfies the legal requirements.  I would though, encourage my fellow fishermen here to declare any BFT legally caught, as this will demonstarte to the authorities that yes, we are entitled to have a seperate quota to catch BFT.  Unless we do this, I can't see us justifying a similar quota for recreational fishermen in the coming years.

Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

frabel

Quote from: The_Gaffer on May 23, 2012, 11:53:33 CET
Quote from: ganni on May 23, 2012, 09:51:31 CET

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???

I think that is just a typo error...misunderstanding I guess. 

However, these requests are a reality..although highly unusual.
I used to work in Milan about 12 yrs ago, and broke my foot playing football.  Coming back home on Friday from Malensa airport, I requested a wheelchair as its a very long walk to the gate.  The lady attendant told me that I needed to book a wheel chair 48hrs in advance.  I politely told her that I had just broken my foot last night, and if I knew beforehand that I was about to break my foot, I would have taken the necessary precautions to not go and break my foot in the 1st place!!.  Needless to say, the young lady was lost for words, but she did provide a caddy to take me to the gate!!

A copy of the regulation mentioned about notifying FCD when going out fishing as well as TWO HOURS BEFORE RETURNING TO PORT (Applicable as from April 2012) for ALL FISHERMEN can be downloaded from the Documents page of the Federation Website. ( http://federazzjoni.webs.com )

A copy of the document is also being herewith attached.

Accjolaman

Jekk ghal kul tip ta sajd rekreazzjonali, Z___ kbir, ghax jekk tohrog dawra wara gurnata xoghol, ghandek xorti taghmel nofs siegha barra. Jekk ghat tonn biss titlob li jaqtalek halli tehles min ugieh ta ras.

frabel

The regulation does not specify whether it is for BFT only but if one has to declare what type and quantities of each type, it means that it is not only for BFT. I would  think that it applies to all types that are controlled.