• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Bait With Lures?

Started by skip, November 28, 2007, 12:19:35 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Hi,

Was recently chatting with some fishing ppl who mentioned that they somtimes attach a piece of bait (fish chunk etc) to their artificial lures on the hook end to leave a slight scent in the water and also present a more interesting lure.

Do any of you guys do this, or have done this. Is it only done for specific types of fish etc?

I would like to get a chum bag sorted out this year, where I can put in some frozen chum and lower the bag in the water as we're trolling to leave a scent trail. Something to try!

Skip

busumark

sometimes i put a piece of tumbrell or klamar when lampuki dont want to bite the lure. sometimes it works sometimes no. i put a snail on a small rixa when trolling for cervjol even of kahli is good.

MartinB

I found the same thing especially when the lampuki are shy to bite the lure a piece of klamar or tumbrell can get them interested.i dont actually own a boat ( im hoping to get one next year) but i go out often with my cousin on his boat and i was telling him about this interesting article i saw about trolling with combination of lure and deadbait.check it out. http://www.worldseafishing.com/tackle/biggame/biggame_rigging_baits.shtml

busumark

interesting site. today caught 2 kubrit about 1kg each and a nice cervjola 1.25kg and a small denci but no plamti. my friend caught 3 plamti and cervjola

skip

Great post Martin, will def want to give that a try. I have some squids rigged with ballyhoo from Williamson lures which is basically what the article is describing but all artifical. Placing some real ballyhoo type in the mix either with Mullet or mackerel would certainly be something to try.

Skip

shanook

another cheap and effective way is to attach strips of lard (xaham tal majjal) to the hook. they last longer as a matter of fact it hard to take them off. They are white in colour (attracts tuna) and leave a trail in the water. smell and taste are there as well. And if the fish is not taking the whole lure but nibbling at the end bit, it wont take the lard off the hook making the fish turn for a strike.

MartinB

Thanks Skip, i think its worth a try especially if your going to be using a chum bag next year as i imagine you'll be using some dead bait for that anyway,also the set up doesn't look too difficult to rig,but how durable it will be during trolling remains to be seen,but i think its worth a shot.I also think shanook's method would be very good too,lard strips should also leave a nice slick/scent trail especially in the warmer sea temps. 

fin

Intersting shanook regarding the lard, have yo had any success with this method?
FIN
Lets put MALTA on the map with our fishing knowledge.

ramio

Bait with lures has been used for a long time. As Busumark mentioned snail meat on rixa for kahli is a norm with old fishermen. I read a lot of mackerel and squid strips with artificial lures.
To leave a scent, I found that draging a bag in the water will not last long even when frozen, apart with the fact that if forgoten may foul prop or tackle while bringing in fish.

I put the bag on the bathing platform where the boat's wake rides on at regular intervals. The chum will have time to melt slowly and ferment in the sun. If lacking chumm, another effective methode is to soak a rag with sardine oil and tie it on the bating platform where it can regularly get soaked with boat's wake. You can actually sea the trail behind you. I must point out though that the oil may stain the platform, and make sure to put rag in plastic bag and dispose of as soon as ashore. I once left it inside boat for a week...........boy it was worst then when I forgot a fanfru under the floorboard.
Can't wait to go fishing