• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Steering Auxiliary Outboard using the Main Outboard Steering

Started by Gazzetta, June 15, 2012, 08:03:09 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazzetta

Hi, I know that some of you manufactured a link in order to steer the auxiliary outboard motor using the main outboard steering on the console.

I would appreciate if you can guide me through this project. Any pros & cons, parts needed, materials used, photos, modifications that you had done after experiencing any issues with the system or extras that would made the system better etc would be highly appreciated.

Also I would like to have my main outboard elevated when steering the auxiliary. What do you think ?
Thanks you very much for all your help.

Thanks for your help
Gazzetta

ganni

I have linked my 2 outboards by a stainless steel solid rod, however I have to remove it to put the auxiliary up...but its only a 30 second job, just remove 2 split pins.

Initially i wanted to link them using 2 ball joints, however I couldint find any stainless steel ball joints.

I can post pics of my link in a couple of days.
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

guido99

See link for my project. Works great, but main engine needs to be lowered into operating position for best results. It would be hard to steer with main engine in raised position due to the effect of gravity on the main engine. Ball joints or Rod ends as they are actually called have been replaced with heavy duty engineering plastic versions and are non corrosive.

http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=3157

http://mt.rsdelivers.com/product/igus/ebrm-10/e-series-rod-end-10mm/7124989.aspx#header
Hey, what part of "Bring your own Beer" didn't you understand ?

Gazzetta

Thanks Guido & Ganni for your info.

One question, Guido I guess the power of both outboards you're using is very similar. What would have you done if you had a main engine of 90hp and an auxiliary of 15hp ?
I think that if the main engine is also in the water, it will interfere with the performance of the auxiliary or not ?

Ganni, are your outboards' power on the same scale ?

Thanks
Chris

guido99

Actually the aux is a 6hp and the main os a 50 hp, drag from the main engine lower unit in my opinion is insignificant .

shanook

I dont hink that u are going to steer straight all the time, so the big ngine will act as a rudder and u can turn the boat easily with the aux on the side (since main is in middle) it would be difficult to steer............if u intend to plane the boat ith the outboard then yes it would interfere LOL

ganni

my main engine is 40hp and auxiliary is 5hp...when setting the engines you must align the auxiliary slightly turned so that it compensated the moment created due to it being on the side and not centered.
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

shanook

We had a 225hp with a 25hp aux and we kept everything straight. we never had problems. the Rod that made up the linkage which was similar to the one in picture above but simpler we just bent the rod and it just slid in the holes no nuts and bolts no clips just let the force of gravity do its work.
when not needed that is we switch main engine to plane we just lifted the rod put the aux up and hey presto. dont forget its not always calm waters out there.
a slight breeze cam make life difficult so keep it as simple as possible.

Good luck and dont be afraid to experiment, try learn from mistakes and try again and again.

guido99

Keeping it simple is the way to go, but it has to be practical, the aux i have is a single cylinder 4strk Tohatsu 6hp, very reliable but notorious for vibration especially at low revs. The linkage had to be "Tight" otherwise the rattling would be very distracting and unbearable. Never had to use it to get me home but use it all the time while bottom fishing to compensate for drift. Works like a charm.

malvizzu

Let's say that main engine and auxiliary are linked, and main engine switched off and auxiliary running, can you steer the boat from the steering wheel or the auxiliary's tiller handle has to be used?
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

shanook

@malvizzu once u hook up the aux with the main engine then the steering is done with the steering wheel otherwsie what is the use of hooking them together

@guido99 we had same probelm with another baot and a simple gromet did the trick no rattling, no nuts, bots or split pins just slide it in and BINGO

BUT the most important thing is that whatever u do u feel happy with whatever u choose to do.........

Gazzetta

Thanks for all your ideas and help :)

Do you have any photos of your link shanook ? Also what size of rod did you use ?

Thanks
Chris

shanook

sorry no photos as he just bought a new outboard and he is feeling safe for the moment and since its a four stroke h eis using it for trolling as well so there is no need to use the auxiliary. the rod is, 10mm with  90 degree bend on each end. the arms are a bit long (about 60 mm) so that they stay in place.

malvizzu

Quote from: shanook on June 16, 2012, 13:23:40 CET
@malvizzu once u hook up the aux with the main engine then the steering is done with the steering wheel otherwsie what is the use of hooking them together

@shanook - LOL you are right. Sometimes what's obvious to someone is not the same for the other.

So with this set up of auxiliary and main engine connected together, I assume that the auxiliary has to be all the time down and not tilted when moving, right?
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

shanook

When using the auxiliary you keep both engines down one to drive and the main engine as a rudder.
when you want to move the boat with tha main engine (which i presumely means u want to move faster than with the auxiliary) then u have to lift the auxilairy thus a quick release. if you keep the aux down it will drag and u waste petrol.