• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

What is the best vhf?

Started by dedin, July 06, 2012, 13:00:19 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

dedin

What is the best vhf to buy? Icom , garmin or loweance please? Any help would be much appriciated. Many thanks.
*** Fish now - Work later ***

skip

My vote is on ICOM for overall quality and reliability especially their base models. I have a Raymarine Ray54 fixed VHF which is okay but nothing special, max volume could do with being higher.

And handheld a Standard Horizon (Yaesu) which I am very very happy with.

The_Gaffer

My vote goes to Icom.  I have an Icom M505 on board, and a handheld Kenwood. 
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

bigboy

I have a shipmate and a new laurence on my boat and also keep a cobra handheld. The laurance i find very good

dedin

Thank alot guys, i think i'm going for the lowrance 250
*** Fish now - Work later ***

joe

I have a icom for 16 yers no prb

benri

Who is the agent for Icom please?
And I would also appreciate some feedback regarding the Lowrance VHF's from those of you who own one please.
I'd rather be fishing.....

baghira

Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

bigboy

i have lowrance and so does Renald-ForTuna. we both found it to be very good but icom are the best i think

benri

do you have an idea of the price for an Icom fixed unit with dsc please (that compares to the Lowrance)?
I know that the Lowrance is €180.

bigboy

Granitu

The Transmitting wattage of the unit and the lenght of the arial (plus where the arial is installed) determine what unit suit you best.

Personally, don't choose by brand as most of the units today have the same chipset - just different cosmetics. As a unit IComs have been in this business more than anyone else in the market and the products are reliable. I have a 20yr old one as a spare still works like charm.

If you intend going far out, consider investing in a serious VHF as the transmission is greatly affected by the weather, location and distance.

Good season so far.....

shanook

Granite what would be a serious VHF? I thought they were all 25w. Do you mean add extra output?? I think a very good aerial helps more.

skip

25W is the max allowed according to the relevant standard, albeit there are devices that can raise the Tx power up to 50W.

However as Shanook pointed out, the mounting height of the aerial and length of the aerial, plus type of antenna along with the shortest possible coax cable run, with the least number of splices/connectors/extensions will provide for the best Tx/Rx performance.

After that you need to ensure that the 12V feed going to your VHF is clean and good and no leakage. Some ppl fit a Ferrite Ring as well to prevent any EMC problems. Try and route the aerial coax away from analog instruments.

benri

Thanks for all the advice guys.... I'll give my shopping list to Santa :)