• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

OptiMax vs E-TEC. Find out why Mercury OptiMax is the best DI 2 Stroke to buy.

Started by Meccanic, August 31, 2012, 05:21:55 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Meccanic

THIS IS A PAID ADVERT

Join the winning team:
Repower with MERCURY OPTIMAX SALT WATER Outboards.
MADE IN USA | 5 YEARS GUARANTEE

The truth is the proof and the competition has been found out. OptiMax vs E-TEC. Find out why Mercury OptiMax is the best Direct Injected TwoStroke you can buy.

Take To The Water With Confidence. Nothing beats a day on your boat when you know it's powered by the perfect engine.   OptiMax is outfitted with innovation features designed to let you enjoy every available minute - features like its tow-stage direct injection fuel system, ultra-reliable components and "smart" electronics that give you confidence to go as far as you like.

OptiMax was the world's first Direct Injected outboard.
OptiMax is the world's top selling Direct Injected outboard.

MECCA MARINE is offering the full MERCURY OUTBOARD LINE up at unbelievable low prices: 2.5Hp to 350Hp! buy now and save! Time to repower!

Tel: 21573278 | 79732783 | sales@mecca.com.mt

skip

Both are great engines, but Don't you just love the marketing guys!!!

- Opti's are considerably noisier at idle, trolling and running in general....no comparison for noise levels in that video
- Fuel consumption, Speed, Acceleration....if they are not independent tests, they are worthless. Mercury will simply put the ideal prop on during their tests and put a bog standard one/wrong one on the competitors. It's only when each manufacturer is invited down to set up their own engine on the identical boat that these tests actually mean something.
- Remember the old saying? Liars figure and figures never lie. Their figures are for them running the tests at that particular place and time. If you read boat tests in various magazines, the test results will vary even with the same boat. Due to weather, wind, and wave conditions, you can never duplicate a test exactly. The driver can make quite a difference also compared to you, me, or someone else.

- E-TECs have 5 years warranty, what's all this 3+2 hype!!
-The E-TEC is simplier without compressors, belts, the OPTI needs two injectors per cylinder, the OPTI needs tracker valves and fail rails. Basically more to go wrong on the OPTI.
-The E-TEC is a battery less igntion system.
-E-TEC has more amps for battery charging and also does not require an alternator like the OPTI.
-The "HO" runs the high speed gearbox.
-The E-TEC will cost less in servicing costs over the life of the outboard.
-The E-TEC will use less oil, even when on factory TCW3 setting. On the high performance models BRP recommend to run XD-100 at the factory setting. This gets equalled out though in that the XD-100 will be dearer than the OPTI oil.
-The E-TEC allows newer/improved software to be downloaded into the EMM.

Here's a fun one....115 E-TEC and a 115 Opti on the same boat, by independant guys testing!

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3004712040101354590UinMPp

http://rides.webshots.com/album/573908112qXYUMf

So it's easy to present another side :)

Meccanic

With all respect Nicky, the test and promo is PUBLIC and should this be untrue, I am sure that EVINRUDE would sue MERCURY millions of dollars! the promo is used in Australia and USA since there OPTIMAX markets are strongest there.

The tests are not a just marketing gimmick: the tests are true and results speak for themselves.
Yes all Mercury Outboards are backed by 5 Years Guarantee yet if you choose not to service at authorised Mercury Service Station, you do your own servicing as many maltese do, the guarantee is the standard 2 year Guarantee.

Recommended Service for MERCURY OPTIMAX 75Hp to 125Hp is Euro 145.96
Recommended Service for MERCURY OPTIMAX 150+ is Euro 172.59
I am sure that these rates are the lowest on the island as offered direct from MERCURY AGENT and not any mechanic!

You already discussed the ETEC Non Servicing in previous blogs and you were all shot down that to look after your outboard, servicing is a must....

The demo you are showing leaves so much to bve desired? Independent by whom?
Why don't they show the throttle, the type of prop etc etc....
Should they wanted to make a real test, they would have given all data. it is very evident that they wanted ETEC to look nicer even in their comments!
Several points you listed above are also debatable.
Why is it calculated that overall, MERCURY OPTIMAX use less fuel than EVINRUDE ETEC?

Why does ETEC web site makes only comparisons to Mercury 4 Strokes when they are fully aware that Mercury Manufactures OPTIMAX!!

The Reason: a better direct competitor! THE TRUTH IS PROOF!

Visit the main www.mercurymarine.com web site for more info....

digger0579

well I just got to know that E-tech spark plugs cost over 30 euro each......

Thats really expensive.

I have a suzuki DF 90 and I'm realy impressed. Before I had Yamaha and Mariner which I have nothing to complain, but the suzuki beats them all. the power is incredible and the running cost is even more.
Petecraft 17 Sport with Suzuki DF90..............

The_Gaffer

Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

ForTuna

@ Digger0579 - my friend I am a proud owner of an Evinrude Etec 75hp bought 7 years ago. Like every year I serviced the engine and I purchased gear oil( 3 tubes) , fuel filter, water separator and 3 sparkling plugs. Bill came up to Euros 97 ( ALL INCLUDED )so unfortunately what you have just said about the Euros 30 per plug is purely crap.

Talking about power, I have a 17ft boat and I bearly see any boat my size being pushed up to 35knots with the same engine HP.

It all comes down to matching the correct outboard & propeller to your boat. I spent 2 months going through reviews before deciding what engine suits me best and with Evinrude I managed to have power and fuel consumption not to mention low maintenance cost.

I was more into Mariner but I can tell you, if I ever come to buy a new boat the engine has got to be an Etec.

ForTuna

Triumph 170cc - Evinrude 75 E-TEC

skip

Quote from: Meccanic on August 31, 2012, 06:50:55 CET
With all respect Nicky, the test and promo is PUBLIC and should this be untrue, I am sure that EVINRUDE would sue MERCURY millions of dollars! the promo is used in Australia and USA since there OPTIMAX markets are strongest there.

We all know that the advertising laws in the USA and elsewhere are very different in terms of the claims to be made. Yes they can't make any old wild claim, I would imagine they would have to produce some kind of evidence but let's face it and not bullshit around.......if a manufacturer, any manufacturer whether it's Mercury or Evinrude conducts its own tests to make all sorts of claims on a Promo video, then it is totally SUBJECTIVE and therefore should be interpreted accordingly, they are not Objective tests at all. Heck just look at some of Evinrude's tests where they sink the competitors engines by out pulling them....it's true it actually happened but the test was very subjective!

Quote from: Meccanic on August 31, 2012, 06:50:55 CETThe tests are not a just marketing gimmick: the tests are true and results speak for themselves.

You couldn't have chosen a better word.....gimmick!!! As I mentioned they don't compare noise levels which on any modern engine are a big deal...convenient because they are well aware that their engines are considerably noisier and that does bother people. They feel that Low Pressure Direct Injection is superior to High Pressure, but Mercury didn't develop the injection system, it was designed and created by Orbital Engine Corp. http://www.orbeng.com.au/intellectual-propertyflexdi.html so they can't really take credit for that!

Recommended Service for MERCURY OPTIMAX 75Hp to 125Hp is Euro 145.96
Recommended Service for MERCURY OPTIMAX 150+ is Euro 172.59
I am sure that these rates are the lowest on the island as offered direct from MERCURY AGENT and not any mechanic!

You already discussed the ETEC Non Servicing in previous blogs and you were all shot down that to look after your outboard, servicing is a must....

Ummm not really, E-TECs in the first 3 years are far cheaper to service because all that needs to be done are the basics, drive oil, greasing and filters and I haven't read anywhere that this HAS to be done by RLR directly but they would have to confirm....What we said in the previous blog was that because they are used in Saltwater the 3 year no service claim doesn't apply in Malta as we are exclusively salt water but elsewhere in the world on lake's that stands, and Mercury cannot compete with that.

The demo you are showing leaves so much to bve desired? Independent by whom?
Why don't they show the throttle, the type of prop etc etc....Should they wanted to make a real test, they would have given all data. it is very evident that they wanted ETEC to look nicer even in their comments!

I'm SO GLAD you wrote this and you agree, because I couldn't agree with you more!!! But then YOUR VIDEO fails to provide this information as well except that it was endorsed by Mercury....but again no prop information, no sea conditions, no temperature and humidity, no boat info, no fuel/water/people loads and so on and so forth....the links I provided were to show you that anyone can do and comparison and make it Subjective!!!

Several points you listed above are also debatable.

Of course they are!! As are Mercury's claims but you were happy to accept those as the Truth....

Quote from: Meccanic
Why is it calculated that overall, MERCURY OPTIMAX use less fuel than EVINRUDE ETEC?

Ummm because it was a Mercury test LoL, I'm sure we can find some other tests online that show the opposite!

Why does ETEC web site makes only comparisons to Mercury 4 Strokes when they are fully aware that Mercury Manufactures OPTIMAX!!

Here you have a point....again simple answer is because they are two very good and very similar engines in terms of performance the gap/results wouldn't be exciting enough to make one of those cheesy Promo videos :)

The Reason: a better direct competitor! THE TRUTH IS PROOF!

Said like the true Salesman that you are :) But at least you believe in your brand ;)

Show me a REAL comparison test done by someone like Boattest.com , same hull, same load, same conditions and then we will have THE TRUTH for that particular tested Horsepower, on that particular hull, which may perform very differently on a different boat!!!

So guys I reckon the lesson to learn here in case there are any of you out there that would be so easily swayed by such promotional video's.....is do your research, see what works for you and your boat, and remember you're buying the After Sales Relationship and not so much the brand. If you're in the shit in years to come it will be of little comfort to sit behind your computer watching a video that says your engine is the best if you are dead on the water and waiting to have it fixed!!

Meccanic

The Brand is what supports after sales Nick.
Although at MECCA MARINE we are striving hard to bring on much stronger our after sales department employing more qualified personnel; if we are not supported from the manufacturer, the efforts we make cannot be supported so strongly.

As you understand we have dealt and imported directly TOHATSU | MERCURY and therefore have a full idea what the Japanese guys offer and now what Mercury Offers.... ( we have been dealers for MERCURY only 18 months and we have managed to deliver and offer after sales already to hundreds on new Outboard owners who have shown their gratitude to the new after sales service we are offering.)

For MERCURY - The client the highlight - the center of all.

For TOHATSU - The Engine is the highlight of all  - A god delivered with no factory mistakes, damage or defect! After sales - 0! Claims budget - 0 I am not discussing small claims, everyone covers small claims!

TOHATSU: it takes us over 3 weeks to have parts delivered - Mecca is to blame?

MERCURY is a whole different company: all claims are entered on extranet and accepted when reasonable. Customer satisfaction is a must. All our 3 mechanics have to attend to MERCURY OUTBOARDS and MERCRUISER TRAINING annually... This makes them fully factory backed up, with 2 BRUNSWICK factory mechanics always available for further back up a phone call away. Clients are offered a Customer Care call center and many questions are answered and backed up. Try to call any competitor - supplier. they just pass you on to dealer!

Parts delivery - DHL: 1 to 2 days when not in stock at MECCA or Free delivery in 1 week in summer or 2 weeks in winter!
PARTS PRICES: Mercury Parts cost a fraction of the TOHATSU - We all know that the MERCURY is co-owner of TOHATSU and holds 49% of the Japanese Factory. The parts are now much cheaper through Mercury Network!! we can note that many clients already noticed as the parts department is extremely busy all year round!

Working Hours: While most of you including our competitors were on holiday in August, all our retail outlets including the after sales department was up and running to offer all our clients and holiday makers a piece of mind. We do not have our holidays in SANTA MARIJA week or 15 days when all boat owners need our support ever more than ever!

MERCURY OUTBOARDS and MERCRUISER inboards have brought a whole new concept to MECCA MARINE. We are proud to be supporting MERCURY who are 1st on the Water and we are proud that after BRUNSWICK decided to close off the dealership with MM2 LTD, although their were another 7 contenders for the distribution and a delegation was sent to MALTA, MECCA MARINE was chosen for their preferred partner.
No other Outboard dealer - proud as proud can be try to support any brand with care and half the enthusiasm offered by MECCA MARINE both in Sales and Aftersales!

cla144

Quote from: skip on August 31, 2012, 20:35:16 CET
So guys I reckon the lesson to learn here in case there are any of you out there that would be so easily swayed by such promotional video's.....is do your research, see what works for you and your boat, and remember you're buying the After Sales Relationship and not so much the brand. If you're in the shit in years to come it will be of little comfort to sit behind your computer watching a video.

Very well said Nick. I am speaking from experience.

Meccanic

just a small note:

MERCURY Optimax engines alone, a small fraction of Mercury sales, outsells Evinrude's total production. And they don't even make Optimax below 75HP.

Kaptan Jr

Quote from: cla144 on September 01, 2012, 06:41:58 CET
Quote from: skip on August 31, 2012, 20:35:16 CET
So guys I reckon the lesson to learn here in case there are any of you out there that would be so easily swayed by such promotional video's.....is do your research, see what works for you and your boat, and remember you're buying the After Sales Relationship and not so much the brand. If you're in the shit in years to come it will be of little comfort to sit behind your computer watching a video.

Very well said Nick. I am speaking from experience.

Nick and clayton don't waste your time on this topic cause all Malta knows the truth!!!

2/3 of tohatsu owners in malta are very proud with their engines including me  but they buy outboard parts from abroad

So the answer is.....................
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

Meccanic

Kaptan Jr is the last that can speek.... Let alone Clayton!
I wonder why Clayton tried to pass the word to us to sell the share of Johnny's brother in KAPTAN BOATS to us at MECCA!
So why end up using this post of a professional international advert for such a discussion? If the US & AUSTRALIAN markets are airing this video since early 2012, and we have launched this video in another post in early 2012, why the hassle?
This is simple normal marketing we are using....! Who wants to sees it, can easily see it, who does not want to see it, just pass over it. this is a paid advert.. nothing more nothing less!

Kaptan Jr

Sell kaptan to mecca!!!!!!!!??????? I never heard of it nichol. Congratulations
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

cla144

Nichol, you can easily ask KAPTAN boats why.

As you can see from the thread, I only posted a comment when the discussion was raised for the after sales service. Why are you getting so fussy about it?? Is not true that certain renowned agents here in Malta who make a lot of marketing are very lacking and unprofessional especially when it comes to after sales service???

Remember Nichol that a client is still a client even after he fully paid for the product.

When using marketing, please make sure that you are giving the correct image which is of paramount importance to the prospective clients as Skip correctly noted that 'apart from the brand, one is also buying the after sales service' which counts more. Eventually all the products get damaged and need repairs irrelevant how is being marketed and is there, when it comes to the after sales service where the level of reliability and name of the company is being tested.

When one is using simple marketing, one has to market simple but also all the whole truth. No matter what marketing is being used, what simply matters is that the whole truth is being marketed. Because everyone likes hearing/seeing the whole truth behind the advert. It is so simple.

In my opinion (just my opinion) I would be cautious how you use that slogan of yours 'Proof is truth' because sometimes when the whole truth will be known it won't be very useful as a marketing tool especially in slogans.

busumark

I am considering to repower my boat with a 4-stroke or DI outboard. I will not consider buying tohatsu since the local agent is saying that their aftersales from the factory is 0 and claims budget is 0. and delivery of parts takes 3 weeks.
right now i have a Mariner 2-stroke and i am changing the motor only to go for a 4-stroke better economy, less noise and less exhaust. I never had any problems with the local Mariner agent and since Mariner is from the Brunswick brand and they give priority to aftersales I will seriously consider to go for another Mariner outboard