• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Spinning at night

Started by rule3, September 11, 2012, 10:08:07 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

rule3

Hi, does spinning at night produce? or its just a waste of time?

Thanks,
L-ikbar ghadu tas-sajd hija s-sodda.

Calle

I caught several Barracudas after sunset but never stayed longer than midnight, though I am sure you can also catch them later. I used lures running close to surface and retrieved them much slower than during the day. A good idea is to fish in the areas (harbour etc.) where you have some light and use baits which are reflecting best.

Just my (limited) experience. Would also like to hear some ideas of more experienced Maltese fishermen.

Tight lines,

Calle
Always Tight Lines

Granitu

Quote from: Calle on September 13, 2012, 00:12:47 CET
I caught several Barracudas after sunset but never stayed longer than midnight, though I am sure you can also catch them later. I used lures running close to surface and retrieved them much slower than during the day. A good idea is to fish in the areas (harbour etc.) where you have some light and use baits which are reflecting best.

Just my (limited) experience. Would also like to hear some ideas of more experienced Maltese fishermen.

Tight lines,

Calle

All good but in my opinion, darker lures like the rapala clown works better during the night than highly visible lures - Rememer cuda at night tries to catch fish which are very limitedly visible. Fish mostly relies on its smelling and vibration (sound) sensitive senses.
Good season so far.....

Calle

I agree with you Granitu, though I would consider the Rapala Clown to be quite a visible lure. The colour of the lures I am using is not bright, my favourites are greenish and greyish, but they are reflecting the light, especially when doing jerk moves.
Always Tight Lines

marvik

for my experience if the fish want to bite it will bite on anything  and will bite on black red and other colors and tested my self and when they don't want to you just have follow ups and at night the worst time to go fishing is on a night of full moon waste of time hope this well helps a bit

rule3

Quote from: marvik on September 14, 2012, 19:05:14 CET
for my experience if the fish want to bite it will bite on anything  and will bite on black red and other colors and tested my self and when they don't want to you just have follow ups and at night the worst time to go fishing is on a night of full moon waste of time hope this well helps a bit

And some fishermen told me that a night of a full moon is very productive for barracuda....

marvik

Quote from: rule3 on September 17, 2012, 12:52:00 CET
Quote from: marvik on September 14, 2012, 19:05:14 CET
for my experience if the fish want to bite it will bite on anything  and will bite on black red and other colors and tested my self and when they don't want to you just have follow ups and at night the worst time to go fishing is on a night of full moon waste of time hope this well helps a bit

rule then when it's full moon go and have a try then let me know that's all i can say but let me tell you this i don't know if you know that sea water have lot of florescent in it (fosfru ) and when it's full moon the fish can see also fish line with it and barracuda and seabass relay a lot on there eyes not like other fish the sense the vibrations in the water  ?

rule3

thanks for your interesting reply marvik.

vlado61

My experience with barracuda fishing in the Canaries is that night fishing is very productive in full moon and choppy sea. The barracuda love the yellow colour!
Here is one on rapala max rap 17 from Fuerteventura:

Saupe

Nice barracuda Vlado  :)
I had one Max Rap 13 that colour and all of it's paint went off not like the normal max raps .
I only fish on days that end in "Y" ...

vlado61

I have most of the sizes and colours of max rap. Never had problems with the paint.

Saupe

Same here , but that colour isn't the same as the others even from other spinners i heard the same problem  :-\
I only fish on days that end in "Y" ...