• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

What Outboard to buy

Started by dunstan, September 13, 2012, 06:23:49 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

dunstan

Hi Fisherman's, I need  an advise as i am going to add a small outboard on my Lomac rib 16 feet.

Mostly will be used for slow trolling. What do you think it will be enough a 4hp? or it might be to small. My rib is light and really wish to keep it light ;D

The area where the second Motor have to be fitted its quiet restricted as well.
If  can suggest any brand?

Thank you in advance

skip

You want  a 4 stroke for sure........Tohatsu, Mercury and Evinrude are all the same engines in that hp range and all made by Tohatsu with different paint and decals depending on the end company.

When I had a 2008 9.8hp Tohatsu I didn't like the rudementary locking system the outboard had when tilting it up. It basically didn't lock at all it just rested on a bar so you'd have to bungee it or use a metal adjustable hook lock.

Suzuki, Yamaha/Selva and Honda are all great Jap engines. The Gaffer was recently looking for an aux and found the best prices on the Mercury if memory serves me well.

I would be inclined to say you are better off with a 6hp...remember that as your aux engine you also want it to get you home in winds/current which a 4hp might not. Plus the weight of the 6hp in the case of Tohatsu is less than the 4hp by 1kg!

malvizzu

Quote from: skip on September 13, 2012, 06:54:31 CET
You want  a 4 stroke for sure........Tohatsu, Mercury and Evinrude are all the same engines in that hp range and all made by Tohatsu with different paint and decals depending on the end company.

What do you mean Skip by saying Tohatsu, Mercury and Evinrude are all made by Tohatsu? Are you sure about Evinrude?

I also am looking for an auxiliary and according to specifications, the Suzuki 6HP have a much better displacement than the rest.
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

lazyfisherman

Yes Malvizzu, Skip is right. They are all the same Tohatsu engines, including Evinrude. But this holds true only for the small 4 stroke engines not the E-tecs.

Evinrude need smaller motors to fill up the gap left by the E-tecs to have a full range of different hp options - like the rest they went for Tohatsu (it seems that miniaturising the etec technology and applying it to small engines is not be feasible)

malvizzu

Well that's very interesting news indeed. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

dunstan

So which brand might be the best so far, making on the side the trade mark of some brands.  I mean for example some many people with no idea say if you buy a Yamaha it`s like you have gold and to be honest sometimes it a bit of bullshit as these people might be at sea once a Month  ;D ;D.

I need an economy one if possible proved. And of course after sales which it looks like it`s a bit of a headache. my last question Is low idling ok with 6hp?
Between Its very bad weather today thunderstorms everywhere  ???

malvizzu

My mechanic has a 5HP Honda and has been using it for quite some years now. He says it's very economical and trouble free and not difficult to service. When the time comes I will be going for a 6HP Suzuki because they have been proven reliable, very economical and silent as well.

savioursajdbis

My advise honda . honda is very economical and silent too .
Regards Saviour

dunstan

Thanks for your replies. So Honda seems to be economical very good to me. My question is why i dont see much Honda outboards on Boats?

skip

The dealer???  Perhaps not  very interested in Marine!

savioursajdbis

maybe you must open your eyes lol
Regards Saviour

Barbun

Hi guys I do not say much on this forum but I can give you some first hand experience re outboard reliability, I do 200 hrs plus on my engine every season cos it is a work boat so I know a bit about reliability and after sales service, engine now has around 900 hrs logged and services every 100 hrs and 9months out of 12 in the water every single year.  Suzuki engines are my number one choice in all aspects, economy, reliability, wide stock of parts available at very good prices and excellent after sales service. 

malvizzu

Comments from someone who uses engines not just for leisure but for work should be considered well. Honda dealer is more into cars than anything else, so as Skip rightly said, not much attention is given to marine engines. Thanks for your input Barbun.