• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

fishing in Malta

Started by alggomas, July 22, 2010, 15:24:02 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

alggomas

Hello Everyone,

I am coming to Malta in September and just want to do some lazy fishing just to get me off the streets! I will have a telescopic rod,spinning reel and a small assortment of hooks and a couple of floats.

Is it possible to fish off a harbour or breakwater?

I am disabled, but can walk a bit but not stand for long periods.

Do I need a licence, and if so how much please?

Thanks.

robby017

no, you do not need any licenses and with regards to your tackle, you are well equipped for some shore fishing...... don't forget some line and split shot leads as well. its possible to fish in harbours and some pontoons and breakwaters without any problem..... also.... around september, many of us here organise cost sharing trips to go out trolling for dolphin fish (mahi mahi)...... normally its a good excuse to drink some cold beer out on the water with good friends.... and more often than not  you get some fish as well.... just let us know if you are interested.
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

robby017

ps.......... welcome to the forum mate
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

alggomas

Well,

Thanks for replies. Will let you know when I'm coming.
Thanks again for replies.
Questions answered.

blueskip

When you are out there, the best bait for playing around with the small wrasse, bream, mullet off the harbour walls & jetties ia "korea worm" (small ragworm imported from Italy). It usually arrives on Thursday morning & is normally sold out by Saturday, a small piece of worm on a size 6 hook under a float, or fished on a paternoster rig will give you hours of fun, some good sport, you may land something big, plus the fact you get the sun, & an ESSENTIAL acessory is CISK either ice cold in a bottle or a can! :D
Blueskip

ppDavidPerkins

Good morning,

I take my friend David fishing once or twice a month here in Wales.

He is 75, disabled and in a wheelchair but I know he would dearly love to get some fishing in while he is on holiday 4th-24th November.

Is there any boat capable of taking him for a day?  Or is there a safe pier for him to fish off? 

He can't get out of his chair (he's an amputee) but he can swim and is otherwise fit enough to fall in and keep himself from drowning.  It would just need someone to help him in and out of the boat or onto the pier oh and help getting to the toilet although he can manage all the personal stuff himself.

Many thanks indeed for any help you may be offer in advance.

Hilary (now in charge of tackle and worms:-) )

wrighty

Hi Hilary,

I don't know about oats but there are plenty of safe jetties and things around where he will be able to fish from, just depends where abouts on the island you are staying

ppDavidPerkins

Hi Wrighty

they are staying in Tiran Island Hotel Sharm El Sheikh which is in the north I think.

But if David could find a place anywhere he will get there, by hook or crook (scuse the pun)

The only thing which is 100% important is the wheelchair access as he just can't walk at all, although he can use elbow crutches for the toilet etc with no problems and he can self propel for a reasonable distance.

Thanks for help Wrighty,

Hilary

wrighty

Hilary,

Isn't that Egypt and not Malta?   :-\

ppDavidPerkins

Hi - I think that must be the holdings group, sorry.

I just found out its the Ramla Bay, sadly they aren't taking me.

It's right up in the north.

Hilary

busumark

there is a safe jetty just before that hotel. the place is called Marfa but i dont think that he will catch some big fish but he will spend some time relaxing if its good weather

greenhorn 94

Hilary,

I am maltese myself but i spend most of my summer at Ramla bay hotel . The hotel itself is a great place to fish from . The outdoor pool is exactly next to the sea  and there is also a tiny pier from which the hotel's visitor's can access the sea  which I have used countless times in the winter aswell as the summer for excellent night fishing . There are many spots to fish from at Ramla bay as it is touching with the sea , and the hotel's outergrounds run down to shore . David will have ample space where to fish from without having to cross  much distance. These spots are easily accessible as there are many ramps and as for bathroom availability , there is one at the outdoor pool which is less than 40 m from the sea. If he encounters any difficulties , even if he would like some advice about fishing rigs send me a message , i know the seabed there like the back of my hand .

if my experience is anything to go by he should be in for some good fishing , i have myself caught some  fine specimens over there in the past( at least by maltese standard ) :)
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work!

ppDavidPerkins

dear Busumark and Greenhorn

Thank you so very very much!

I will pass on these details right now - he will be arriving in less than 48 hours.  He is taking his mobile phone with him and that way I can pass messages back and forth.

I so much appreciate all your help.

With very best wishes from cold old Wales,

Hilary

(on behalf of Dave Perkins)

Simon G

Please let us know how your fishing experience  went
Simon G
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman