• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

SSR registered boat

Started by alex651, January 22, 2013, 14:32:37 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

alex651

Hello

does anyone of you have any SSR registered boat? i was going to buy one and register it in my name. did anyone one of you do this beofre? i send an email to transport malta but got no reply yet..

Granitu

I would register it MFC not ssr if you plan fishing with the boat
Good season so far.....

alex651

i think SSR is much cheaper. any one of you has registered his boat on SSR?

Granitu

of course its cheaper, but you cannot fish in Malta with that boat if it licensed SSR. Unless you are willing to take the risk and breaking the law... although i doubt you would be fined if caught fishing - i would imagine a stern warning
Good season so far.....

skip

Quote from: alex651 on January 22, 2013, 14:32:37 CET
Hello

does anyone of you have any SSR registered boat? i was going to buy one and register it in my name. did anyone one of you do this beofre? i send an email to transport malta but got no reply yet..

I used to own an SSR registered boat when I first came down from the UK. BUT as Granitu has confirmed, you are not allowed to fish in Maltese waters with that boat, AND if stopped by Transport Malta vessels they have a right to ask you to prove you are a UK resident spending more than 190 days in the UK.

Yes SSR is cheaper, £25 for 5 years BUT......

With all the upcoming changes being proposed locally, I would not risk keeping an SSR boat, indeed I had switched that boat to S. Even if you buy an SSR boat the process is quite simple - Send the SSR doc to the UK MCA and ask for boat to deleted from their register. They will send you a deletion document which you can take to Transport Malta and then register your vessel.

There have been various discussions on registration, but at this stage go with MFC as your boat will be new to the Malta Registries.

savioursajdbis

u bix tamila mfc kem tigijk ??
Regards Saviour

alex651

yes but to register a boat in SSR you need to have a uk register right? i am seeing may ssr boats lately. i want to register my small boat ssr because i dont use it for fishing but for pleasure

skip

Quote from: alex651 on January 24, 2013, 06:48:09 CET
yes but to register a boat in SSR you need to have a uk register right? i am seeing may ssr boats lately. i want to register my small boat ssr because i dont use it for fishing but for pleasure

In order to own and keep a UK SSR registered boat, you are obliged as per the UK MCA registration regulations to spend MORE than 185 days in the UK. Presently it seems there is no enforcement of this.....!"

One of the conditions to be eligible to register a boat under the UK Register Part III (SSR) the person under whose name the boat is registered has to be "an ordinarily resident in the UK".   

All the information can be obtained from the UK MCA website.

alex651

ok so i can forget it..... but there are quite a number of ssr registered boats now!

skip

Those are the rules, it's up to each person to decide if he chooses to apply them.