• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Flat Line Trolling

Started by skip, January 31, 2008, 14:48:04 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Been coming across this quite alot when trolling with multiple rods, say more than two or in general concerning spread patterns. From my own experience and from what I've been reading it seems we all want to get our lures to run well, and not splash up above the surface, so it may be worth a try.

In flat line fishing, a release clip may be attached to the fishing rod near the heel of the rod, or to a short tag line attached to the transom of the boat close to the water line. Flatline fishing reduces the tendency of a lure to splash along the surface of the water. Also, in the case of fishing with a weight to hold the lure or bait under water, it reduces or eliminates "bellying," i.e. the tendency, in trolling, for the pressure of the water against the fishing line to produce a "belly" in the line, resulting in a pulling of the lure or bait toward the surface of the water. In flatline fishing, the release clip maintains the length of fishing line between it and the bait or lure close to, or below, the water surface. This reduces or eliminates bellying, and allows the lure or bait to run deeper in the water.

Skip

skip

Small Update: A cheap alternative to a dedicated release clip is to use a rubber band on the line. Either to the base of the rod or if you have the space at the back of your boat to the swim platform etc, again using a rubber band.

Skip

shanook

Hi skip, I usually troll 3 lines from my boat I sometimes go for 5 lines, but that is mostly dictated by weather conditions (wind). I use a release clip for 3 reasons. one to keep the lines as close to the water as possible, other is not to put a strain on the tip of the rod and the other is give a bit of time for the fish to swallow before the line goes tight on strike. I usually have 2 lines this way but i also keep one high up to cause splash as this make the fish rise from the deep. Its important not to have lipped lures to do this, but a straight venturi lure either with or without jets.
An alternative to the release clip you suggested is the elastic band which is very good i used it a couple of times but if one is an avid fishing fan then he should do one at home. All one needs are 2 pieces of wood (80mmx20mmx6mm) with a 5mm hole at one end, another 3mm hole about 25mm from the other end. the 2 pieces of wood are held together with a SS split ring passed through the 5 mm hole. A SS bolt is passed though the 3mm hole to close the two pieces together its better to use a SS flynut. on the font part where the wood is about 25 mm its better is one glues on a piece of insertion or rubber to hold the line  Voila' u have a release clip

skip

shanook

Thanks skip, part of being a forum member is to share ideas and experiences.  I only hope that I dont get blamed by the fishing shops around Malta for lack of sale of release clips LOL.

shanook

here is a quick drawing of the release clip I just did on Prodesktop.