• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

2013 Bluefin Tuna Permit (Proposed)

Started by skip, March 30, 2013, 19:38:30 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

baghira

I went today and was asked for the boat registration, and she did a copy of both this registration and my application and handed me a copy back...
Buqq...
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

albatros

fejn nista murr beix ngib applikazzjoni ghat tonn pls?

busumark

Quote from: The_Gaffer on April 07, 2013, 22:01:23 CET
Please be informed that the applications for recreational fishermen to apply for a permit to catch and land bluefin Tuna will open on Monday 8 April and close on Friday 26 April.  Applications may be obtained from the Fisheries Directorate at Ghammieri between 8am and 12.00pm daily from Monday to Friday.  Please ensure you apply before the closing date as stated above.

skip

Quote from: baghira on April 09, 2013, 20:05:50 CET
I went today and was asked for the boat registration, and she did a copy of both this registration and my application and handed me a copy back...
Buqq...

How come they asked you for the boat registration?

shanook

Skip one has to go to ghammieri not in valletta.

baghira

buqqq.... that's what the lady wanted.....
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

skip

Quote from: shanook on April 21, 2013, 18:55:48 CET
Skip one has to go to ghammieri not in valletta.

Mhux next to the Pixkerija? That's the only place I know of....

shanook

no u have to go to ammieri at luqa. Do you know where the Old home is of st Vincent de paul...they are opposite each other.
Do you know where the Turkish cemnetry is or the Malta bacon factory or coca cola... well on that road that leads to Gormi there is a side road that connects to the road that leads to Lidl or to where that Phallus statue is. well on the way up before you come to the roundabout on the right hand side there is the ammieri. You havta go there mate. you park near the gate entrance and u take a hike to the fd. enjoy.

skip

Wow okay, that I didn't know! Did they close down Barrieria Wharf?

shanook

Yep the sae was making them sick....good one freedive lol

shanook

Update: I got a call this afternoon from FD (mr Frans) where he asked me to choose a district as I put down ST Pauls and Birzebbugia. I asked the reason and he said that the permits are going to be by different dates for fishing. Eg St pauls on Mondays, wednesdays and fridays and Birzebbugia tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays (this is just an example). He didnt even have time to finish his sentence where I informed him that he is imposing on me when to go fishing and when not to. And that this goes agaisnt my rights. He said that this is being done to be fair with all fisherman as there are 400 and do I expect to go everyday? I explained why this is not fair 1st of all I might not be able to go out on that day and yes if I wanted to why shgouldnt i go out everyday, I didnt buy my boat to be used on certain days.  He also said that I have to inform FD that I am going fishing and when I get back he implied that this is for my safety and that the FD has to know when i go out and return. BullSh--  I tell Valletta port when i leave and return and that FD does not care about my safety as I had to buy an Epirb and it is not even registered in Malta as we dont have the facility to do so. I also asked where we are going to unload or where the tuna is going to be inspected and he said either Marsa or Marfa in my case and i tried to explain that i cannot afford to make an extra four hour trip just to show off this blessed tuna, apart from the cost.
So to cut the story short I didnt choose the district and that he will pass my application to the director and hopefully he will call me back so that I can explain my complaint.
Oh by the way I have sent an email to the Parliamentary secretary to clarify.

skip

Joe Gaffer, can you pick this up when you next with the FD. It seems they are going ahead with the plans they had before, yet I was under the impression from the PS that the situation would be reviewed properly.

I fully support Tony's comments, the proposed restrictions by day/district are ridiculous; will this also apply to Commercial Fishermen!!

Last year they stated only a handful applied, now they are saying 400?

The_Gaffer

Seems like this is getting quite interesting.  We have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the BFT fishing permits for recreational fishermen, together with the FD, reps from the Federation, and probably staff from Fisheries.  I was not present when dicussions where held between the Federation and the FD which determined the criteria for issueing a permit for recreational fishermen to catch and land BFT.  So, unfortunately, I am not aware of all the details discussed and agreed.  Don't expect much, as I suspect the die has already been cast in stone!!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

shanook

I am aware that things take their time to get done and that the PS has a BIG job to start getting things right. Id rather wait and have things done properly than as freedive said a half baked cake.
BUT I do not want to be part of a system that imposes on my rights. I'd rather not get a permit than go so low as to accept the conditions that they want to impose on us. I didnt apply when the system was with a lottery as I didnt like that, imagine now someone tells me when it is my turn to go fishing. NO WAY

EmicMalta

Quote from: shanook on April 24, 2013, 16:30:01 CET
I am aware that things take their time to get done and that the PS has a BIG job to start getting things right. Id rather wait and have things done properly than as freedive said a half baked cake.
BUT I do not want to be part of a system that imposes on my rights. I'd rather not get a permit than go so low as to accept the conditions that they want to impose on us. I didnt apply when the system was with a lottery as I didnt like that, imagine now someone tells me when it is my turn to go fishing. NO WAY

this is a reason we did not apply this year for the permit. How can one report that is going out every time or have to go out always from same place?

The reason that I did not report any catches last year, was that we had 3 boats and we did nt even seen them. I applied to catch it with a harpoon, where the season closed early for my kind of fishing. Now it looks that they extended the months, but still too difficult for us