• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Recreational Fishermen should have a boat registered MFC or S ?

Started by savioursajdbis, April 05, 2013, 17:34:55 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

Quote from: bmamo on April 16, 2013, 12:05:40 CET
Guys, I've been in contact with fisheries, and this is their reply:

SUBJECT: new Reg in the MFC category from S

XXX XXXX at MSDEC-FCD <XXXXXXXX@gov.mt>
13:31 (29 minutes ago)

Good morning Mr Mamo,

Please refer to your query.

Please note that it is not possible to register vessels that were previously registered as 'S'  in the MFC Category.

Thank you and Regards,
XXXX XXXX

As I wrote in my previous post, the FD is in the process of preparing the necessary framework and supporting admin to facilitate the massive changeover expected from S to MFC.  bmamo, it would have been beneficial if you also posted your original mail to the fisheries dept.  As yet, the FD are not accepting applications from 'S' registered boats to switch to MFC for the simple reason that as yet, no legislation has been enacted, therefore as thoings stand now, S registered boats are allowed to fish. 
This is still very much works in progress guys.
Please, do not worry or stress yourselves.  The draft proposals are all still up for discussion with a wider base of stakeholders, which discussions will include representatives from the Malta Fishing Forum. However, please do keep posting here your queries and thoughts.  When the time comes, we will go over the suggestions, thoughts, concerns, ideas, etc, and ensure adequate representation in the discussions. 
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

bmamo

Thanks for the clarification Gaffer. Will wait for further news.

As regards to the original email, here it is:

-----------------------

Hi,
       I have an 'S' registered boat, and would like to change over to MFC. I have two questions.

Is it possible to do this?
What is needed from my part?

Thanks in advance

-----------------------------
Il-Kaptaaaan bil-piiiipa f'halquuuu

toxictuna

The_Gaffer

Quote from: toxictuna on April 20, 2013, 16:36:00 CET
What happens to who has a valletta reg boat?

I have alerted the DG of Fisheries about this issue and other issues we are facing.  Will keep you all in the loop.  Had a meeting with him on Friday and he said there should not be an issue to register boats in the MFC category.  Naturally, I challenged that, and provided email proof. The DG is looking into the issue now.

_\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

benri

I'd rather be fishing.....

bmamo

Gaffer, Did you notify him that it's not a new reg, but a change from S to MFC?

skip

I always knew it as new boats can register MFC, existing S cannot transfer as the registry was closed to transfers.

Can someone remind me if the Initial MFC registration fee is €465.87? and for Valletta Registered Vessels they are supposed to pay a reduced fee to TM and €58.23 to FCD

The_Gaffer

Nick! MFC registration is not closed.  The only restrictions are on MFB and MFA, which are controlled by the EU.  The former fisheries DG made up a lot of regulations to suit himself and his croonies
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

skip

Fair enough, but if the transfer fee is also €465.87 it's not worthwhile, it has to be a free transfer as most likely boat owners will have to get a surveyor in to confirm the boat complies with the MFC requirements , of which the list is rather long (Flares, VHF etc etc)

benri

Yesterday we had a meeting at the Bugibba Club and members of the Federation were present. Dr Joe gave a thorough explanation regarding the S and MFC issue and it was very interesting. In fact I suggest all members go to the forthcoming meeting on May 5th.
To cut a long story short, apparently all MFC will have to register S as currently they (MFC) are not registered with Transport Malta!!! Following this, all boats to be used for fishing will need to have an MFC Licence. I was also astonished to note that to date there are no legal fishing restrictions on S boats whatsoever! Therefore, as at today, as S boat can go fishing with a parit and no action can be taken legally! Unbelievable but true! Restrictions are only on MFC boats who on the other hand have no licence to be in the water!!! Made in Malta!!!
I'd rather be fishing.....

bmamo

The_Gaffer

_\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

skip

Certainly things need an overhaul, it's the MFC boats <6m which don't have a licence to be on the water as the larger ones should have also been registered Valletta so those are okay.

Hopefully it won't be another money making exercise....I'm happy to pay a reasonable annual fee but as stated above no Transfer fees.

shanook

As things stand the S registered boats have more right to fish that the MFC ones. They are also licensed to navigate in Maltese waters while MFC are not............I love it........OIM (only in Malta)

savioursajdbis

MFC registration fee is €465.87 + surveyor and so on .to reg a boat S. Over 9.9 HP to 25 HP Euro 50 Euro 20 (Annually) = 70 Euro . For me MFC it no reasonable price and all this is to have fun fishing .
Regards Saviour