• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Consumption of a 90hp?

Started by droo88, April 09, 2013, 17:54:26 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

droo88

Hi, new here  :)

I am interested in buying a boat (had a small 13 foot displacement one last summer but the mooring was cut and the boat was lost :( )

Now I am looking for a planing hull and have found a couple of 17 footers. My question is what fuel consumption should I expect from a 17 foot planing hull powered by a 90 2stroke mercury? My previous boat had a 35 2 stroke evinrude bolted on and was not so bad regarding fuel consumption at cruising although it was slow (crusing 6-7 mph, max 18-20).

Thanks!

baghira

for fishing???????????
Find something else.... you're looking on the wrong side of the moon man.....
Wrong hull, wrong motor..
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

benri

I had a 16ft planing hull with a 90hp 2 stroke - since 5 years I switched to a 20ft hull with a 140hp 4 stroke and consumption is at least half!! Look away from old 2 strokes! Etecs and the new stuff are a different story.
I'd rather be fishing.....

skip

If it's a straight 2-Stroke Mercury (Like their Saltwater or EFI) then avoid, unless it's an Optimax Direct Injection.

On a fairly heavy 18.5 foot planing hull with a 90hp DI engine at 20 knots I was using around 16.5-17.5 Litres per hour and around 4-6 litres per hour trolling at 6 knots.

malvizzu

As Skip rightly said, don't go for a staight 2-stroke engine cause it will make a deep hole in your pockets. Go either for a 2-stroke Direct Injection (Evrinrude ETEC, Mercury Optimax or Tohatsu TLDI) or for a 4-stroke engine (Suzuki, Mariner, Honda, Yamaha).
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

droo88

Thanks for your advice. I kept on looking and found a 15 foot boat with a 40hp motor. Should take me to comino and back with some stops for fishing on the way ;).

skip

Quote from: droo88 on April 18, 2013, 12:56:40 CET
Thanks for your advice. I kept on looking and found a 15 foot boat with a 40hp motor. Should take me to comino and back with some stops for fishing on the way ;).

4 Stroke or DI?

droo88

Its a 2 stroke, but is small displacement (650cc) and should give me about 5-6mpg cruising. Quite comparable to my previous boat.

I had a look at boats with 4 stroke engines but the price was x3-4 as much and didn't seem worth it as I am not going to be using the boat that often.

DEXTER

How much would i expect to consume by trolling  on a 14 foot fibreglass boar with 30hp 2 stroke evinrude of 1999? With same boat but honda 30hp 4 stroke by trolling i consumed 6 euros in six hours.(1euro hourly).
Live or Die,your choice.

baghira

what speed?
I am assuming that you would consume x 3 or a bit more...........
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

skip

That's 0.66L per hour (3.95L total)? Were you just in gear at quasi idle speed?

DEXTER

yes I was in gear with little speed.approx 2 knots.
Live or Die,your choice.