• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touchscreen

Started by The_Gaffer, October 27, 2013, 06:27:25 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

Just purchased this set from Caruana Marine Centre.  I am looking at 3 options for a Transducer.  1. Transom mount 600w, transom mount 1Kw, and inhull 1Kw.
There is a difference of €580 between the 600w and the 1Kw tranducer.  My question here is:
Does the differnce in price really justify going for the 1Kw transducer?
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Granitu

Quote from: The_Gaffer on October 27, 2013, 06:27:25 CET
Just purchased this set from Caruana Marine Centre.  I am looking at 3 options for a Transducer.  1. Transom mount 600w, transom mount 1Kw, and inhull 1Kw.
There is a difference of €580 between the 600w and the 1Kw tranducer.  My question here is:

if you want it for deep sea, yes

Else no
Good season so far.....

The_Gaffer

Quote from: Granitu on October 27, 2013, 07:03:38 CET
Quote from: The_Gaffer on October 27, 2013, 06:27:25 CET

if you want it for deep sea, yes

Else no

Why?
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

EmicMalta

jien andi is 600w. adni ma nistax nara il hut forma ta arch. ghandom hafna setting u probabli hu li hemm xi 1 hazin, pero kieku nerga nixtri, nmur al kbir mil ewwel. Avolja min l elite al hds rajt differenza enormi, fejn bl elite qas biss kien jimmarkah certu hut.

jekk trid kellimni u nohorgu niprovawh

shanook

The difference is obvious, one is more powerful than the other. if its going to be used for location in deep sea, dirty water ( with thermoclines etc) and going at high speed, then at least the 1KW if its just to know the depth at shallower water and at slower speeds and the 600W should be enough.
But this is like the power of the outboard motor, what spped what this and that and in the end one suggests to get the most powerful motor that the boat can take and that one can afford.

Granitu

Quote from: EmicMalta on October 27, 2013, 12:24:52 CET
jien andi is 600w. adni ma nistax nara il hut forma ta arch. ghandom hafna setting u probabli hu li hemm xi 1 hazin, pero kieku nerga nixtri, nmur al kbir mil ewwel. Avolja min l elite al hds rajt differenza enormi, fejn bl elite qas biss kien jimmarkah certu hut.

its difficult to see the classic arch if you are moving emic..

but with a 600w if you are stationary a fast moving fish creates this arch. then again... dont limit to detect fish when u see the arch and a 600w until the 150m offers the same results as a 1kw.
Good season so far.....

EmicMalta

Quote from: Granitu on October 27, 2013, 19:05:27 CET

but with a 600w if you are stationary a fast moving fish creates this arch. then again... dont limit to detect fish when u see the arch and a 600w until the 150m offers the same results as a 1kw.

Trolling max 1.5nt one can set up the ping speed i think?!

skip

I don't think a 1kw transducer is worth it. Whilst it's exposed in the water so a bit more power than the losses from an in hull, you have the turbulence issue to contend with that can counter some of this.

If you are slow moving scanning the bottom, then it should be okay, but if you are moving faster you will get a lot of aeration around the outboard and transducer.

In addition you have :- Easier to damage and expensive if that happens, perhaps more of a temptation to pinch it assuming you intend to leave the boat in the water.

The M260 is a 1KW inhull with Broadband / HD and if you're going down the 1KW route probably a safer bet. You won't get water temp with it but still I reckon preferred.

For trolling and fishing that doesn't involve deep drop the 600W should be fine.

Granitu

Quote from: EmicMalta on October 28, 2013, 10:23:36 CET

Of course you can emic. and if you by any chance have the sonar out of the water/inhull, when you decrease(i think) ping time, you will notice that the clicking  noise from the transducer increases.

Also, to what value you set the gain?
Good season so far.....

EmicMalta

Quote from: Granitu on October 28, 2013, 11:42:29 CET

Of course you can emic. and if you by any chance have the sonar out of the water/inhull, when you decrease(i think) ping time, you will notice that the clicking  noise from the transducer increases.

At the momenet i don t remember, but its on manual mode. I know that there is fish underneat the boat i m not satisfied with the readings. Most of the time,  in shellower water i prefare to switch on the structure scan. Hope to have more time to leard the system cosnit s not so easy as they say

Granitu

Quote from: EmicMalta on October 28, 2013, 12:05:28 CET

At the momenet i don t remember, but its on manual mode. I know that there is fish underneat the boat i m not satisfied with the readings. Most of the time,  in shellower water i prefare to switch on the structure scan. Hope to have more time to leard the system cosnit s not so easy as they say

They are correlated to what I could notice. It is good you are experimenting with it. Structure scan is amazing, for your needs emic i think its the best
Good season so far.....

EmicMalta

Quote from: Granitu on October 28, 2013, 12:43:01 CET
Quote from: EmicMalta on October 28, 2013, 12:05:28 CET

They are correlated to what I could notice. It is good you are experimenting with it. Structure scan is amazing, for your needs emic i think its the best

My regret was that it only takes 1 sd card at a time. Having the chart on 1gb and cant use the other fetures, is not nice. Have to put again the elite, just to use it as a chart plotter. It limit most of my needs. The hds 9 or 12 can handle 2 sd s, which makes difference.

One cannot know all the pro and cont before getting it onboard. But basiclly it s one of the best in the market