Started by kris, January 28, 2014, 16:01:35 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

malvizzu

Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

kris

15ft Marino Atom 450 Powered by Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke Fuel Injection

28ft Luzzu Powered by Twin 45 Hp Perkins

baghira

2 / 3 knots is quite a lot for my type of fishing..

I own an old generation 4 stroke HP70 evinrude which under the cap is suzuki DF70.
The old generation were quite heavier than modern ones and consume much more, and also more silent and powerful.

It is on a Zodiac 16 foot rib with a very heavy deep vee Hull. Compared to other boats, I state that my rib is very heavy.

I really do not know how you succeed in calculating fuel consumption without appropriate gauges... I do not know mine! I know that for a 7 hour trolling day at 1.5knots approx , including approx 18 miles to go and come from my fishing ground I consume roughly 40/45 euro.

The speed and revs are constant all day long, and silence...............
After all we go at sea to relax and hear nature, not vuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I can do much better with consumption, but cannot do otherwise for the time being.

Servicing is abit expensive, with a normal service costing approx 300euro.

My 2 cents...
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lazyfisherman

Don't know much about engines but if you regularly troll live bait, 2-2.3 knots is generally too fast - very often you are down to 1 knot or so (sometimes even less if you are moving in the direction of the current)

malvizzu

I do not troll with live baits at all and so never needed to go down to 1 knot. For me 2 knots is slow trolling. My consumption calculations are not 100%. What I do is fill the main fuel tank, which is 45L, to the full. I have a sender unit and fuel gauge which gives a decent indication of consumption. Every time I go out I take with me another 10L fuel in a portable tank and when I go on berth again after 6 hours trolling, I refill main fuel tank. It's just simple mathematics and you don't have to be an Einstein :)

@Baghira – and what do you expect with a heavy Zodiac and a 70HP old system 2-stroke, that it's going to work just by the smell of fuel (jahdem bir-riha  ;D) (sorry but don't know the correct expression in English)

A full service by Teddy cost me 185 Euros (including labour).

baghira

malvizzu

Granitu

Quote from: baghira on January 29, 2014, 19:55:35 CET

I really do not know how you succeed in calculating fuel consumption without appropriate gauges...

If I tell you i calculate the amount of fuel i consume on my boat with a wood stick marked appropiately....

And its better than a fuel sender!!!! :P

Good season so far.....

bigboy

savioursajdbis

Go for Yamaha 50 hp 4 str very low consumption and the weight is 114 kg
Regards Saviour

EmicMalta

@Baghira: spending 40-45€, you have to see the sea conditions. Your rib is very strong so it s expected to consume that amount. All I suggest is to get a small engine and use it for trolling. This will reduce the hrs from the main engine and be more fuel efficiency.

Fuel efficiency is hard to say, but i have a 30hp 2 stroke and a 50hp tldi (both tohatsu) for a 13ft bucaneer. When i used to have the 30, it use to consume more then 2 times as much as the 50. All i can say is from gnejna, going to ghadira, then going around gozo and strait to gnejna. A whole day diving, with the sea completely flat. I spent 19€ + oil.

Now I read that Tohatsu got some new 4 stroke in collaboration with Honda. I used to hear not such nice thing with previous 4 stroke Tohatsu, but if they go with honda I think is t a good choice. PTR is very helpful so will be a good option for us.

baghira

nice consumptions.....
The problem I have is where to install the aux.???
My rib is particular at the back.

The_Gaffer

Quote from: halop on February 01, 2014, 20:26:59 CET
i owned marino atom 15 ft as yours 350kg powered by honda 50bf fuel inj auxiliary 5honda runs very well 33knts .mecca says deep v actually its not..fuel economy extremly good go for alungi 2 persons nice weather start engine @5 till 10.30 17euro
So what you're saying here is for a 5 and a half hour trip for Alongi, you burn between 10 and 12 litres of fuel.  I'm guessing you are running the auxiliary for trolling, apart from the fact that you do not travel far to reach the fishing grounds.  Still, if as you say, you only burn 12ltrs of fuel for a fishing trip, i'm very surprised!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

baghira

kris

Quote from: savioursajdbis on January 30, 2014, 19:32:55 CET
Go for Yamaha 50 hp 4 str very low consumption and the weight is 114 kg

The New Tohatsu 4 stroke 50hp is just 95kg! Will probably go to visit ptr this week. Currently tohatsu seem to have the best power to weight ratio of the 4 stroke range on the market! And regarding fuel efficiency, the new 4 stroke is quoted to consume 15.7L/hr at 5000-6000rpm V.s the tohatsu 50 tldi 16.5L/hr at 5150-5850rpm

Quote from: halop on February 01, 2014, 20:26:59 CET
i owned marino atom 15 ft as yours 350kg powered by honda 50bf fuel inj auxiliary 5honda runs very well 33knts .mecca says deep v actually its not..fuel economy extremly good go for alungi 2 persons nice weather start engine @5 till 10.30 17euro

Very good to hear from someone who has another marino atom powered by a 50hp. Halop, can you give more details regarding your fuel economy? What I mean is from where you launch your boat? My home port is gzira, the two times I went for alungi last season I have left port at about 6am and returned back at about 12pm. I calculated to have consumed around 30L of fuel going up and down at 18knots and then trolling at 6.3 knots.

@halop, can you give me your personal experience having a marino atom with a 50hp on it please? :)
15ft Marino Atom 450 Powered by Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke Fuel Injection

28ft Luzzu Powered by Twin 45 Hp Perkins