• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Lowrance Link-5

Started by cronos71, March 23, 2014, 19:53:39 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

cronos71

Hi guys,

Need your help maybe someone had my same problem at some point and solved it of course. ;)
Yesterday I installed my Link-5 which i purchased from Caruana Marine (still under warranty).
I turned it on and gave a 'PC MODE' message. Very strange as it does not mention this anywhere in the installation manual.
Push of buttons has no effect, only the on/off switch actually works as supposed to. Just to mention everything I have linked it to my HDS-7 as instructed by Caruana Marine (yellow to yellow and green to screen).
Any ideas?  :-\
Thank you.

Cronos

The_Gaffer

If i were you i would continue this with Simon at Caruana Marine, especially since its still under warranty.  Having said this, Simon is a very helpful person, and will surely extend his tchnical knowledge to rsolve this issue.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

shanook

Yes, I had a problem and Simon Maeve his utmost to clear it. So just go there I am sure he will clear your problem.

baghira

Tony??? Is there something i am not understanding? I was made to beleive that you still have a problem.!
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shanook

Yes Silv, the problem is still there because Lorance have shrugged off all responsibility and they said they cannot offer any solution as the charts that they produced 5 years ago are out of production and are now using Navionics. They also said that if I had a newer generation 2 they would have loaded my card with a chart!!!   Can't see the difference, but that's what they reasoned. They also said that Simons offer is a valid one.  

So my supplier (Caruana Marine) offered what he could, BUT Lowrance washed their hands and offered NOTHING, zip, nada.

For those wondering what the problem was: bought hds5, 5 years ago. I still had my garmin, as gps, which I continued using, and the hds was used as fish finder.  Last year my garmin had a breakdown and is now on Valium, so I started using the lowrance only. I noticed a difference with the charts so, I checked with Visa and Benri and their units confirmed it.  Went to Caruana marine and after a while I discovered that my sd card was empty!!! So I asked if it can be reloaded against a small fee like all big companies do. If you somehow lose Microsoft they reload it. Simon offered a chart at a reduced cost, which he is not obliged to do, and I say thank you, but Lowrance as stated above did nothing. Shame on lowrance.
Amazing a small shop in tiny Malta, does his best for his customer and a Giant like lowrance does not even bother, I had to rewrite as after a week I still did not have an answer.
Customer service review:
Caruana marine 10/10
Lowrance: 0/10

baghira

I see the point..
Well done then...
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

skip

I don't know the full background, but thing is Lowrance aren't the producer of the charts. If you were using Garmin I imagine you had a Bluechart. Your HDS5 should have been loaded with a European base map, was that not the case?

And then you would purchase a Navionics chart on SD card , either Gold or Platinum depending on your preferences.

shanook

Yes the unit had a base map but I bought an SD card with detailed map of course I bought this map from Caruana Marine for the unit, the SD had a Nautipath chart by Lowrance.....the garmin has the blue chart but thats another story, i still have that although the unit is out. Now Lowrance are using the navionics card as the nautipad is out of production.  I think the nautipath has a lowrance name on it I am not sure about this as the unit is in Burmarrad.