• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Sale of Two Stroke Outboards in Europe

Started by skip, March 12, 2008, 20:21:08 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

EU 2006 Emissions Standards Label represents conformity to the EU emissions standards proposed by the Commission of the European Communities on 12th October 2000. IT IS THE ONLY EMISSION STANDARD THAT AFFECTS UK AND EU ENGINES. All other emission standards are irrelevant for the UK and the rest of the EU (for example EPA 2006, CARB 2004 /2008). The EU2006 standards will only affect the SUPPLY of NEW outboards for ?RECREATIONAL? use. By ?recreational?, the regulators exclude engines for commercial registered vessels and racing engines. This text only is only with regard to recreational engines. ALL engines sold PRIOR to the full implementation of the standards on the dates shown below, may continue to be used. Effectively, after 31st December 2006, any NEW spark ignition two stroke outboard motor which does not meet the EU 2006 standards, (basically conventional carburettor / E.F.I. 2-strokes) will cease to be imported / manufactured into the EU. However, any engines held in stock by EU importers or dealers, which have been tax paid, are exempt, in the same way as though they had been sold prior to the regulations. Equally, only spark ignition four stroke and compression ignition (diesel) outboards, which meet the regulations, may be sold from 31st December 2005, with the same exemption about stock units. It should be noted that the spark ignition four stroke and compression ignition engines are required to meet the regulations a year earlier than spark ignition 2-strokes. Unlike the EPA and CARB standards, the EU 2006 standard covers three constituents of exhaust emissions, and noise levels. The exhaust emissions included are nitrous oxide and hydrocarbons (as included in EPA & CARB standards) plus carbon monoxide. Consequently the EU 2006 standard is the most difficult to attain compared with EPA and CARB. Unlike the US standards that allow a percentage of ?dirty? engines to be sold, the EU 2006 standard will affect EVERY NEW engine sold in the EU. The EU 2006 standard is also the only standard that also covers noise levels for outboards. It should be noted that the EU2006 standard also affects inboard engines in a similar manner to outboards. e.&.o.e. ? 

visa

well done skip keep us informed about these regulations, so anybody thinking of buying any outboard think 4 stroke a bit more expensive but saving in the long run
RASCALA 24ft. with DF225 hp SUZUKI v6 4 stroke

skip

I'm curious to know the price of the ETECs and see how they stack up against the four strokes. Perhaps will need to call RLR and get some prices as the ETEC is two stroke EU2006 approved

skip

Seems that ETEC pricing is nearly the same as 4 stroke pricing from what I've come across recently. I'd like to speak to Joe at Gasan and see whether a) the Yamaha 2 strokes like the 85 are somehow EU2006 approved, or if they were stock bought before Dec 2006

gottie

Seems like there is a very strong global demand for e-tecs so much so that brp increased prices in order to meet demand (simple demand and supply economics). So generally speaking prices of e-tecs have increased.

skip

If you don't mind us asking, how much had you paid for your E-Tec 90?

gottie

Those 85 hp yamaha are not EU 2006 compliant. But still ok I think.

busumark

or maybe BRP wants to make a lot more money to those that he already made selling things that are much more expensive than from other countries

skip

The Etec 90 is around Lm1000 over the US retail price at the current exchange rate. Officially, no the Yamaha 85 is not EU2006 compliant so should not be sold in Malta.

busumark

skip so i think my theory about RLR is good. the mariner optimax 75 is about LM600 more expensive than USA. its always like this skip we have to pay a lot more money for everything here in malta. the agents are getting more richer(they are already rich) with the extra money we have to pay. and you can do nothing just watch them passing by in their big expensive boats

skip

Will be interesting to see Mercury's pricing as Mariner and Mercury are the same now, just with a different brand name for those customers who in the past were loyal to Mariner.

Could it also be that the Mariner dealer chooses to make a lower margin? Not sure what happens when it comes to servicing, as all Optimax/ETEC/TLDI engines require very specific equipment and training to set them up and maintain them. In fact in the case of Tohatsu you have to be a TLDI certified dealer to sell their TLDI range. At least that's how it works abroad.

benri

You are right Busumark - In Malta we have to pay through our nose for marine products and through the forum I beg all readers to check prices through the internet especially when purchasing engine parts! Recently I needed a sending unit of the trim gauge for my outboard and I sent an email Messrs RLR who quoted a price of Lm 66.95c ( Euro 155.95 ) and 4-5 weeks delivery. they offered me to pay an extra charge of Lm37.00 if I wanted it delivered in 5 days.
I had the part no. and checked on the internet and got the original part from Crowley Marine for just under Lm 24. It was also available from other sites at a cheaper price but I chose Crowley Marine as they are the original agents for Johnson/Evinrude and BRP. The same thing happened when I wanted a propellor - RLR quoted Lm55 for a SECOND HAND and I got an original NEW ONE including postage and all for LM50 and I paid about LM12 VAT and duty in Malta. Please therefore do shop around. I know some people find the web risky but many times it's worth taking the risk especially from reputable suppliers.
I'd rather be fishing.....

busumark

the envinrude 40 ETEC is LM 2350/euro 5475. other 40 4-strokes are cheaper mariner 40 4-stroke power trim is LM2200 and suzuki is also cheaper but i dont remember the price. and tohatsu tldi 40 is LM 2050. i dont know why the ETEC 40 from ripard is more expensive than the others. ETEC/OPTIMAX/TLDI/ are supposed to be cheaper than 4-strokes at least mariner optimax and tohatsu tldi are cheaper than mariner and tohatsu 4-stroke

Shaftbomb

A simple question - may be Skip can help:
Because of EU regulations, is it legal or illegal to import second hand 2 stroke outboard motors in Malta?

skip

Engines already within the EU that were duty/VAT paid, ie. Second Hand are exempt from these regulations. For the time being it only applies to new engines.