• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

First time alungi fishing - need to buy gear

Started by jbondin, July 16, 2015, 07:09:31 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

jbondin

Hi All

So im thinking about going alungi fishing, but really need some help in setting up....totally setting up...so i have a lot a questions that i hope you can help with with.....So before I start I would like to say thanks for the help at the outset

soooo...

what do you guys think would be a good set up...bear in mind its the first time so i dont want to spend on pro gear...a decent rod and reel to get the blood pumping :)....does anyone know if there are any good combo deals at the moment?

With regards to the reel...i would prefer a lever drag rather than star....when setting the drag on the reel, whats the maximum or strike weight you generally set it with

whats the ideal line to spool it with? is braid a good option with flurocarbon leader?

do most of you troll for alungi or is live baiting and chumming better? if trolling what lures are best? and how many lures do you set up to get the best results?

Thanks for the help

Regards
James

The_Gaffer

Hi James,
A quick search on this forum will provide a ton load of information on fishing for Alungi.  From value for money set ups, to high end gear, to fishing tips, hot spots, trolling techniques..its all here my friend.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

jbondin

Hi Gaffer, yes im in the process of going through the forum finding out some good info....will also be going to a couple of local tackle shops to see what they have available and try and get some help from them also

btw I saw a couple of videos on you tube from the program "fish on" taken a while back...i assumed thats you since the boat was the gaffer.....excellent videos...got me really excited to try out a few things I saw.

Thanks
James

The_Gaffer

"Fish On" mate...we're all hooked on fishing here.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

lazyfisherman

I don't know anything at all about this type of fishing but I think that you have to tackle up pretty fast if you want to try this year since the season will probably be over in a week or two at most.