• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Anchoring and Feeding vs Trolling

Started by Simon G, May 17, 2006, 07:48:30 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon G

which is more productive

In my opinion anchoring or drifting and feeding makes more sense than trolling if fish have been sighted

If no fish are sighted then trolling is more appropriate

what are your opinions Simon G
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

skip

Hi Simon,

I think the consensus of our friends in the US of A is trolling using attractors etc to get the fish to the surface and then once located, chumming and castings into them using Diamond Jigs etc.

If you know an area is hot then I reckon anchor or drift and chum away for success. I reckon techniques will also be largely affected by this seasons fuel prices.

Skip

Fishmagician

Skip and company, here in California, also know as the left coast of the US of A, our tuna waters are far too deep to anchor up. So we can drift in areas where fish are holding, and that generally has to do with the kelp paddies we have floating. Those kelp paddies vary in size, but they agragate the fish. Sometimes we'll catch tuna, yellow tail, and marlin from the same paddies. They drift a long way, attract and hold bait fish, and that attracts the pelagics.

Simon G

unfortunatly here in the med we do not have kelp  so we use fads (Fish Attracting Divices) which are mainly composed of palm leaves tied together with a big float or marker at the surface which are anchored to the bottom.
The only problem is that these belong to prof fishermen and they do not like people fishing around them (TO PUT IT MILDLY)

skip

Beware of the 12 Gauge, you have been warned!!

Simon G

Thats if they are in a good mood !!!!! ???

ciappinu

What's the 12 Gauge? The 12 Mile Limit?
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

skip

One of these!!

ciappinu

Ouch! I see! I normally stick around the ones close by to the shore, in the 6 - 8km radius. Normally they don't bite much there.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

Simon G

most lampuki are found around the 35-50 mile region
thats where the shoals will be and fishermen will protect their good area with all means legal and not

ciappinu

Understandable......With all the hard work they take to put down all the FAD's....I might get aggresive myself If I where in their shoes.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

skip

Yeah but its still illegal! Call the AFM and report the boat/registration ok, but taking matters in to your own hands is still out of order. I heard this happen in the US, except the boat being fired upon, responded back an automatic assault rifle and just about destroyed the boat. I guess its a question of who has the biggest gun or something.

And another thing to point out, those 40ft fishing boats look slow, but they can make around 28 knots with all their engines, so they aren't slow.....

ciappinu

We should organise a Malta Fishing Forum FAD Area around the Gnejna/Cirkewwa area. 1 FAD each and we'll have our own fishing grounds!
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

skip

Not a bad idea, I believe though you also have to pay a license fee per FAD, is this true?

ciappinu

I know there is what we call the "Tad-Dilettanti" FADS. I'm pretty sure not many pay for those! You can't put them everywhere though. The most tollerated area is the west coast apparently, from Filfla to Gozo. That's where I do most of my lampuki fishing, in the 12 mile radius of course.  There is what is called the Sword Fish corridors where no CIMI's are allowed.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp