• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Help - Fishing For Alungi

Started by Gazzetta, April 20, 2008, 10:44:33 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

Chris,
No need to buy one yet if you have a GPS equipped with the maltese islands and approaches.  However, you can buy these maps down at gzira, at any of the numerous marine outlets there.  In the next few days I'll try and scan one out, post it here, with some markings and areas known to me as Alungi Territory.   
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

redbus9

Hi to the-gaffer,tell me is that a fly brige on your boat so that you can control it from up there?
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

DJS

Well, seems like everyone is getting geared up for the alungi season. I'm still trying to figure out where to put a third rod holder. I can confirm that early morning can be productive on the ridge near Filfla, the only problem is you have to set off at an unearthly hour to get there on time.

I've noticed that most of the albacore catch reports posted in the forum were in June and July - just out of interest, has anybody ever caught in May?     
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

The_Gaffer

Quote from: redbus9 on April 22, 2008, 18:30:32 CET
Hi to the-gaffer,tell me is that a fly brige on your boat so that you can control it from up there?
Thats right.  The Trojan F-26 has a flybridge, seats 3 persons comfortably.  The boat is equipped with duel station helms.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

Quote from: DJS on April 22, 2008, 22:08:18 CET
Well, seems like everyone is getting geared up for the alungi season. I'm still trying to figure out where to put a third rod holder. I can confirm that early morning can be productive on the ridge near Filfla, the only problem is you have to set off at an unearthly hour to get there on time.

I've noticed that most of the albacore catch reports posted in the forum were in June and July - just out of interest, has anybody ever caught in May?     
Well DJS, depends what type of boat you have.  If you're planning to position the 3rd rod in the middle, make sure the side rods are well appart.  Also, swim your lures at different lengths, that way, when taking a turn, you prevent tangles, while you're also maximising the strike area.
Earliest I have caught Alungi is 5 June, maybe becuase its only the day before that  my boat got launched for the season!!!! ;).  But I've heard unconfirmed reports that Alungi have been sighted as early as mid-May by commercial tuna fishermen.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

benri

Thanks The_Gaffer. look forward as my GPS is without maps! Does anyone know the chart number for the area we're talking about please?
Quote from: The_Gaffer on April 22, 2008, 18:19:40 CET
Chris,
No need to buy one yet if you have a GPS equipped with the maltese islands and approaches.  However, you can buy these maps down at gzira, at any of the numerous marine outlets there.  In the next few days I'll try and scan one out, post it here, with some markings and areas known to me as Alungi Territory.  
I'd rather be fishing.....

Gazzetta

Quote from: benri on April 23, 2008, 06:46:46 CET
Thanks The_Gaffer. look forward as my GPS is without maps! Does anyone know the chart number for the area we're talking about please?

Same here, I have an Eagle GPS + Fish finder but the price they charge for the maps is a bit too high, at least that's what I think.  Maybe there is someone who knows from were to get one online or has it on a memory card !!!

Thanks

Chris  8)

The_Gaffer

Guys, the Map below shows the general alungi territory in the black area indicated just off filfla.  I will post coordinates once I switch on my GPS and retrive them from there.  I have marked hit spots with red markings,  but really, there is no fixed point where alungi strike, just troll in that area, and you should get hit.  Further out to that map, there are other areas, but for beginners, thats the place you need to be. 
How to get there  ;):  head out 6 Kmiles SWbyS from benghjsa point bearing 205 degrees, you should arrive on the 1st ridge (xifer) if you're there by 5.00am, expect a strike as dawn breaks.   If you don't get a strike, continue in that immediate area until the sun breaks the horizon, say 6.15am....man, I can already hear the reel sceaming ;D
A cold beer would be great if you get stikes following this post!!!!
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

Quote from: benri on April 23, 2008, 06:46:46 CET
Chris,

Chart number is as follows:  Admiralty Chart number 2538
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Gazzetta

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the detailed info.  I think I'll go and buy one of these charts and plot some points on it !!

Tight lines guys as we'll soon be out at sea.

Chris  8)

shanook

For those without a GPS but HOPEFULLY with a compass. Start early in the morning that is be near the Breakwater around 3.30/4.00 am. as soon as u go out of the breakwater head 210 degrees and u should see a lot of lights in the distance, keep ur bearing for about an hour, boat speed 7Knots. U should be there just about at Dawn. Head for Filfla around 290 degrees. Once u start approaching filfla u will see a lot of boats going up and down, follow suite as they will be trolling for alungi. For those who are just sarting PLEASE do not cross  other boats from close behind for obvious reasons. If u see a boat stopping that means he had a strike troll in that direction but DO KEEP A RESPECTFUL DISTANCE. keep in mind all MFF call names so that we can recognise each other. I usually keep my VHF on 10 or 6.

shanook

Regarding time of catch. Off course the best time is early in the morning at dawn but having said that its not the first time that I am on the spot and dont catch a fish till say 11am, its a matter of luck thats why fishing is great u get the unexpected there is never a hard and fast rule. C ya or should i say hear ya there...

shanook

Skip I never fished the west side is that along the ridge thats about 6 miles out or the 11 miles out???? i presume the further out the better eh.

skip

West coast nr Filfla as you and gaffer have described in terms of general area. But I was more productive further up abeam of Fomm Ir-Rih for alungi, around 10-11nm out. And then in the spot where it seems Visa also fishes, around 25nm West of the Gozo tip down from Ta'Cenc (not sure what the area is called).

We caught 5 alungi 40nm almost straight out from the Freeport, perhaps by then we were directly south of Filfla.