• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

Poseidon 470

Started by Napuljun, August 16, 2016, 03:18:38 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Napuljun

I'm new to this forum, although i've read many posts on various subjects. I intend to buy a small boat between 14 to 16 footer, and i saw a couple of Poseidon 470 and it seems to me that they are well designed and very spacoius inside. Most of them are fitted with a Selva 40 Hp engine . Would like to hear some opinions and reviews about them before I commit myself. Thank you.

skip

Not sure if they are still imported by Hi-Tec Marine as I am under the impression that Hi-Tec are no longer in the marine business.

I would be inclined to have a chat with a couple of local builders like Petecraft and Kaptan.

msell

Napuljun go and talk to kaptan builders they are professional right now they re making me a seabrave 14 footer,very helpful and ready to listen to your needs you won t regret it hundred per cent.

Napuljun

Skip, I've seen both of them, but to be honest, for me, both boatbuilders tried to built a boat that is a pleasure boat and a fishing boat at the same time. For example the kapan has the front seat too big and it consumes a lot of space for fishing needs. As to Petecraft, I'm not sure how well it is designed. In a thread somewhere here, I've read that Malvizzu has a similar boat with a 50 Hp engine and he still find it very difficult to plane it. Still thank you for your comment

markmalta

Sorry to *jump* into the discussion, but I'd like to add my opinion :) Before buying a boat, one should list his needs.. Thus, are you looking for a fishing boat or a run around boat? I see nothing wrong in MY opinion when boat builders try and mix both. As for me. I LOVE fishing, but the lady of the house enjoys a nice afternoon swim.. Thus comes the builders reasoning. In my opinion, both Kaptan and Petecraft as well as Buccaneer (I ordered one) have excellent boats! The finish on the boats and customer service is second to none! While I can't comment on the Poseidon 470 as I never seen/ridden one, I am full of praise for the Maltese boat builders, which by time they are getting only better! So my opinion is this.. See what you really want/need.. A boat of 12-14 feet will have it's limitations due it's size.. But again..priorities take over. So think, think and think than decide :) That's my 5c.. Good luck with your choice! May it bring you happiness!

Regards,

Mark
"Lady Ana" Buccaneer 120 powered by 4 stroke 8hp Selva

msell

Like markmalta said you need to know for which reason you like the boat but honestly to critisize those builders I can t understand after the great product they did.With all respect I hope you find a better one but have my great doubts you ll ever succeed.Buying a 14 footer has its limitations you can never have everything even when u buy larger boat.

Napuljun

Msell, I,m not criticising anyone. I just said that with regards to Kaptan boat , in my opinion, the front seat is too big which renders it useless and take a lot of important space, if you intend to use it as a fishing boat. Forget it to use it as a cooler.   I understand that you own one and for you is the best boat you can buy.

felic

Who is the local agent for Suzuki please ?

lazyfisherman

Strand Marine - Qormi (Mriehel bypass - near Crosscraft)

felic

@Napuljun. Why don't you go and have a look at the new Commander 450 boat? It seems extremely well designed with a good hull. Maybe other forum members can have a say about it.

ciappinu

I personally have a Seabrave 14 which is the new Kaptan. True, the front seat is big, but it is very comfortable for pleasure uses. Two persons can have a good comfortable nap on it and I have also stayed overnight on it. Mine is equipped with an eTec 50hp, and with the right Prop configuration it is a pleasure to ride. Never had a problem to plain, can plain easily with 4 large persons on board, and probably even more. Hydrofoils have also made a big difference for rough seas.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

malvizzu

Quote from: Napuljun on August 21, 2016, 04:11:49 CET
... In a thread somewhere here, I've read that Malvizzu has a similar boat with a 50 Hp engine and he still find it very difficult to plane it. ...

So, as I was mentioned in this post, let me view my opinion. It's true that at the moment I am having an issue with planning my Petecraft 14 footer but mainly because I added an 8HP auxiliary outboard which in turn adds unwanted weight at the back. Usually I go fishing with my father and whilst slow trolling the boat moves beautifully. When I increase speed significantly, it's a different situation. If he stays up front I have no problem to plan the boat and stay that way. If he sits at the back, yes it's an issue. This summer I found the issue a little bigger with 3 or 4 people on board, even if they all stayed at the front.

Could be various reasons. The main one could be the type of hull the boat has. The second, and which is a bit of a concern, is that I think the main engine might be sitting low and from feedback I had from a foreign forum, and that the engine should be raised 2 holes up. That sad, I have to take boat to Petecraft and have it adjusted and tested on water cause I'm not able to do it myself. Just before summer I bought professional hydrofoils but have had no time to install and test the boat.

As for the use of the boat, and as stated in previous comments, you have to choose your priorities as to fishing, leisure or both. A 14 footer, whether it is a Petecraft, Seabrave, Bucanneer, Commander or other, you are always limited for space. The new boats having a deck, driving console and large seats which consume much of the needed space for fishing. I opted a centre console for my boat as I wanted a 45L fuel tank under it. I could not place console on the side with that weight as it would have tilted the boat. Other side console boats have a little bit more space than mine. I previously owned a 13ft single leaf frejgatina (hull only although with double bottom) and had more space inside than my 14 footer. If you need your boat for fishing and with ample space, than forget about a 14ft. You should go to at least 18ft, and than again has to be designed for fishing not leisure. A friend of mine has a 17ft Eolo and although it's large from the outside, from the inside it hasn't much more space than mine due to a large console and very large front seat nearly half the boat. But than again, it's a pleasure boat not a fishing one.

As regards to Maltese-built boats, rest assured that they are truly well built for our Maltese waters. The guys from Petecraft, Seabrave and Bucanneer are all great guys and have pride in their workmanship. I have met them all more than once and are all more than willing to help and advise you. Obviously, each one promotes his boat best :) All these boats are well finished as well. Petecraft also export their boats to Australia and Sweden (maybe I sound a little biased, but it's a fact).

So in my opinion, see your priorities well and than choose your needs as regards to use and size. Whatever you buy, make sure you stay within your budget and most importantly stay safe at sea. Good luck.
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

redhead

What RPM is your Etec revving at WOT Malvizzu (with a typical load) and when the boat correctly planned?
Jig Harder --->

malvizzu

@Redhead - I'm not technical with these WOT things and never understood how they work. But here are some details which might shed some sense.

Prop size aluminium 13.25 x 17, the one which came with the engine.

Before installing the auxiliary, boat does not go over 5200rpm with 2 or 3 people. When I tested boat with 3 people and 45L of fuel, she gave 28.1 knots at 5200rpm. When I tried a smaller prop boat gave 26.5 knots at 5500rpm. The motor is fitted on the 2nd holes. One thing that I noticed is that with the smaller prop the boat planned much quicker but lost some top speed.

I have not monitored boat with auxiliary attached.

Normal load is 2 persons (approx 73kg and 80kg), 45L fuel tank under centre console, 22L tank up front under the seat, battery under back seat, sports bag with fishing tackle, 2/3 fishing rods, small cooler, anchor with chain & rope, small tool box and 2x5L water jerry cans.
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

Napuljun

@Malvizzu. I'm by no means an expert, but with that power installed on a 350kg boat with two persons, you should be flying. I know of other people with the same issue, that spent a lot of energy trying to rectify it, and they haven't succeeded. They finally had to sell the boat.  That's why on my previous post, I talked about an inefficient hull. From my heart, I wish you can solve this issue, because you seem to be a very honest guy.

Have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag6ZHTpRFc