• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Reserve Areas

Started by EmicMalta, April 29, 2008, 09:17:27 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

EmicMalta

Can someone help me to know where are the reserves around the maltese islands?

busumark

i think dwejra in gozo, around filfla and from this year or next year from fomm ir-rih to rdum l majjiesa (fomm ir-rih,gnejna,golden bay area)

EmicMalta

yes heared that that places should be done and filfla and dwejra at the moment are reserve natures, but do someone have any exect area and point to point?

skip

Should be marked on the latest maritime map and notice to mariners on the MMA site. Have a look on the MMA site, Notices to Mariners

MartinB

Its here on this website http://www.projectgaia.org/index.html

or more specifically Project "Poseidon"

http://www.projectgaia.org/poseidon.htm

I know a few people who are gonna be P***ed off with the restrictions on fomm ir-rih..(Not that im jumping up down about it or anything!) also from what i can gather it dosen't give any specific parameter's as to how far out from the shore the marine conservation area is proposed to extend.

Granitu

i guess that everyone respects it, come on ;) i bet hat if one scouts the area for a week he will see some pariti and activity around....
Good season so far.....

MartinB

Exactly Granitu thats the problem mate! this strange un-official policy we have of "selective enforcement" (and its not a new thing) it's not that a measure like this is bad in fact in the long run its a very beneficial thing for the sea.They have done it in new zealand for the past 5yrs with great success as seen on a bbc documentary "Blue planet"
In fact commercial fisherman who fish right up to the exclusion zone of this M.C.A. in new zealand have registered catches comparable to 25yrs ago and they reckon the sea all around new zealand has managed not only to recover but is improving all the time.Obviously the zone is alot bigger than here and it is rigourosly patrolled but the concept does work.
Lets hope if they do start to enforce this properly here they do it in a just & fair & proper manner and enfore it for EVERYONE....but as far im concerned ill believe that when i see it in this country

busumark

i think it is going to be from shore to 500mtrs out. it will be a good thing if in this way they are going to stop the pariti especialy that guy with the white boat. you see him sometimes martin b.

MartinB

Hmmm i see him and so do the patrol boats but i think they don't see him as clear as i/we do busumark......

busumark

he uses a boat registered S but if the patrol boat stops him he has another another boat registered mfa an he will begin to use it. so than they can tell him nothing. the only way to stop him is to make that area reserved. at wied z zurrieq thay told me that the patrol boat gave a fine to every who was registered S and was using the parit

MartinB

Or maybe they should just do something about the parit situation and ammend/enforce the law....yeah right!

busumark

its not against the law to throw the parit where he throws them if he has a permit. the law has to change