• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Upcoming Malta Fishing Forum Competitions

Started by skip, April 29, 2008, 20:12:38 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Hi Guys,

I need some help and input from you all to organise the first set of Malta Fishing Forum Official Competitions. As we have a range of anglers in the forum (Inshore, Offshore and Spearfishers) I would like to propose holding three separate competitions over a relatively close period of time.

The offshore competition will be during the Alungi season in June as this makes the most amount of sense. And I am hoping that it will still be a good month for spearfishers and shore anglers, here I need some feedback.

I am envisaging two official registration/departure points for each competition, one in the North of Malta and one in the south to help cater for people keeping their boat up north and those in the south as well as people living up north and the south. Unless you guys think otherwise the fishing zone will be unlimited, you will merely have a start time and a return by time to adhere to.

All categories can only have a maximum of 2 per team except offshore who can have 4 per boat/team, but of course people are allowed to enter individually should they wish.

The competitions will be open to both Malta Fishing Forum Members and guests/visitors wanting to participate. The entry fee for MFF members will be less than for guests/visitors.

We plan to get sponsorship for each of the events, further information will be provided closer to the time. With the entry fee and sponsorship, we will be able to provide prizes in addition to the usual trophy's.

If anyone has any contacts within the media, it would always be nice to get some press coverage.

Looking forward to some further idea's, suggestions, critique etc.

Skip

The_Gaffer

Skip - Great idea.  Count me in as a participant and also if you need any help in organising these activities. 
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

gottie

Yes it's a good idea. I have never taken part in a fishing competition.  I guess it should be good fun.

shanook

It is nice to have a competition. Its lovely to see a lot of boats gathered at the same place waiting for the go ahead of the start of the competition. I usually take part in the Birzebbugia comp for alungi. I think a get together over a meal will be nice to present the trophies.

The_Gaffer

Guys,

I also take part in the Birzebbugia Competition.  It is very well organised between 3 fishing organisations, B'Bugia, M'Xhett and Wied il-Ghajn.  I have a suggestion:
I have just read this mornings Times, and the Puttino Cares Foundation (children's Cancer Group) has just finished a football marathon and they raised E200,000.  We could do this competition and collect money for a good cause.  Each paticipating team (boat) can gather sponsors, we could hold an online auction of unwanted fishing tackle, and all proceedings could be donated to this foundation.  I personally know one of the organisers, and they could sanction this event, even with organisation resources. 
This is just an idea, but I have had this on my mind for a couple of years now.  We can do it guys.  It's all for a good cause!!
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

EmicMalta

The_Gaffer

I think the proposed event for an offshore tournament and collect money for a good cause is a bit late in the day to organise for this year.  Such events need months of planning and I beleive that for this year, time is really against us.  We should however organise the offshore tournament this year and advertise that we shall be holding a yearly event to collect money for a good cause. 
Some ideas:
1. For this year's tournament, we can negotiate a deal with a fish buyer, who would take all our fish caught during the tournament.  The buyer could wait for us at an agreed point on a jetty, where the weight in happens, and that way all fish caught during the tournament are sold off.
2. Some TV coverage would be ideal, before, during and after the tournament.  This would raise awareness amongst the fishing community and help promote the tournamant.
3. Get in touch with the fishing organisations around the island to promote this tournamant.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

skip

It's a good idea, though as we haven't done any tournaments yet as the Malta Fishing Forum, I think we should start off with our own as you say, late in the day for a more major event with charity etc.

There's no reason why tournaments/competitions should only happen once a year, in fact it would be nice to have a full calendar next year planned well in advance.

I will be working on this full steam when I come back to Malta on the 14th May, in conjunction with a main sponsor. As my primary focus is offshore, I will be looking towards others in the forum to help put together the inshore and spearfishing events.

EmicMalta

Im against no one and no others openion, but i think will be better first that if something remains it goes to the forum found. Its good for charity but at the moment the forum needs a little help so that in feuture we can do this without problems

The_Gaffer

Guys,

I fully agree with your conclusions on this.  Lets start by organising this thing inhouse....we can still come to some sort of arrangement with a fish buyer to take on the day's catch.  This could help offset some of the fuel costs incurred by participants, and also contribute to organising the dinner and presentation. 
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

DJS

Great idea Skip, count me in as well. May be we could use some of our catch for a forum BBQ in the evening ... or is that just wishful thinking!
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

The_Gaffer

Skip - Alungi season is fast approaching.  Lets do that Alungi competition.  I have some new lures which I am dying to try out. ;D
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

skip

No probs, though can't do much organising from Crete!!

The_Gaffer

hehehe....way to go Skip.....on hlos in Crete and you still log onto the forum!!!....now thats dedication
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

skip

Thank god for Internet access would be lost without it!! Back now after being there for a week. It's def not cheap and happy to be back in Malta though it was a nice break! Time to work on this competition