• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

malta

Started by huntingman, May 02, 2008, 20:41:40 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

huntingman

Hi guys Huntingman here heading over to malta in 17 days and counting down .Staying in st. julians want to do lots of fishing  .Q ?  CAN I  hire gear whenim there and can anyone let me know how much it costs to hire a boat with all d gear to suit about 8 people. thanks in advance. :D :D

skip

Hi and welcome to the forum. Don't think anyone rents rods etc though I will speak with Misterfish and see whether he offers anything. Might be something the forum could look into providing in the future for people travelling down.

A boat for 8 isn't going to be easy or cheap! A boat for 4, maximum six would run at around Euro 466.00 for a full day with all the gear, but I'm not sure if anyone has a larger boat for eight. The Gaffer might be interested in cost sharing out his boat with your group but again 8 might be an issue.

What might be more do-able is two boats with 4 each but it won't come cheap.

The_Gaffer

Hi Guys,

Yes Skip, 8 would be too crowded on deck.  3-4 would be right.  The fishing gear is available, but I only have 1 deep sea electric reel. then again, in 17 days, its just gearing up for Albacore season, however you'd be 10 days short of the real strikes.  Let me know your thoughts, and we'll take it from there.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

huntingman

tnx guys 2 boats would be d way to go cant wait.

huntingman

hi, lads huntingman on d way   arriving sat 24 th may around lunch time  wats d shore fishing like at nite/ :)

skip

Offshore still hasn't warmed up so I would think carefully before chartering a boat if you want to do trolling. If you're interested in deep bottom fishing then should be okay.

Simon G

water is warm enough i am starting to encounter the palagics again  ;D ;D ;D
a couple of more days like this and the fish will be buzzing.
Going for big ambers tomo keep you posted
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

skip

Simon, Sea Temp is 18C , wouldn't say it has warmed up! Should be around 21/22 at least.

huntingman

tnx lads, hope to meet up wit some of you over the next week tight lines.

ciappinu

Surface sea temperature is already over 20 degrees this year, so quite warm compared to last year.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

skip

Interesting, last time I saw thought it said 18C. 20 is promising

MartinB

Quotewater is warm enough i am starting to encounter the palagics again   
a couple of more days like this and the fish will be buzzing.
Going for big ambers tomo keep you posted
In point of this fact i had a hell of a fish on,3 days ago (21st) which i literally spent approx 2hrs fighting with my rod bent double (which is a very heavy beach caster rod) but i eventually lost it due to the swivel failing when i had to really screw down the drag because it was heading straight for a bottom-longline marker bouy about 20m out which some idiot left in the sea a month ago instead of cutting it off,when he was unable to pull up his longline...grrr  >:( >:(
It was a case of damned if you do or damned if you dont!! even worse i didn't get to see what it was at least!!
However from the feel of it on the take and where my lure was when i hit into it (mid water) it might have been a BIG amberjack or a Huge kubrita/plamtu.Sick as a parrot doesn't even cover it! im suprised im not sprouting feathers  :'(!!!!!
N.B the bouy is no longer there i was still so p***ed off i took revenge on it yesterday with a shotgun!!  ;D ;)
If anyone gets a huge fish with a Halco 55g Lure in its mouth let me know LOL!!

Granitu

lol gd one, issa l huta tmiss :D :D

in january when bottom fishing, we had a similar hookup with a 30 mins fight and no fish...... then fun part is that we couldn't get any line back and the reel is not the same after the stress..... we were in two and the fish tired us both, while she got away on a 0.40 line just cut from the middle of the rig. probably from its breaking strain, drag didn't work, it took too many line in one go... duhh

That is why you have to have an excellent reel with  an excellent drag system cause if you don't use it , you lose it ;) ;)

Good season so far.....

MartinB

Well if the drag wasn't working properly then your line or something is going to go..like you said its worth it in the long run investing in a good quality reel,especially for spinning!
I know what you mean about stress i had a lineaeffe reel which did the same thing to me on a lampuka..long story short it ended up thrown away!

Essential fishing equipment.....NOT

Granitu

i wasn't spinning that day but surely i was not using a quality reel. now i am taking a look at a range of new reels. i experienced such thing once while spinning once. i guess it was a big plamtu but the reel i was using was cheap and small.

i am only considering shimano now as they are the leaders. the areo technum is nice but costy, but i guess it is a one time investment(for bottom fishing and cliffs)
Good season so far.....