• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

trolling live bait

Started by spiru, May 29, 2008, 16:03:20 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

spiru

ANYBODY TROLLING WITH LIVE BAIT FOR ACCOLL?WHEN IS THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR FOR THIS FISH?WHAT DEPTHS?HAS ANY BODY HERE EVER CAUGHT BIG ONES SAY OVER 10KG WITH LIVE BAIT?
fastfisher 17....yamaha 100detl

ganni

nobody seems interested eh spiru haha.
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

ramio

I'm interested that's a fact, the trouble is I'm still rigging up but havn't any experience yet. Will be letting you know as I go along how I'm doing.
Can't wait to go fishing

Kaptan Jr

Probably guys this type of fishing you have to learn it on your own because it's a very delicate fishing and no one likes to tell others. I am trying to learn by myself and the only problem I have is how to rig the bait properly so it seems to move naturally. When fishing with live bait you need to troll very slow.
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

deepsea

Its more drifting with current 1 - 2 knots, definately not exceeding 3.  Best baits Msell and Cuttle Fish (Sicc).  As you said you need to rig the bait properly, otherwise you won't get any bites....You'd be better off with a down rigger, but there are other less expensive methods...

rob1974

I use the piombo guardiano method, at about 20m from the bait, because this method helps me keep closer to the bottom.  I find the downrigger better in areas where the seabed has less depth changes.  Calamari are excellent bait as well, but had good results with sawrell (the long narrow type).  I thread the first hook through the mouth, bottom jaw first, and the second just behind the anus, and right through the fish.  In the case of cuttlefish and calamari, the first hook is attached to the tip of the "head", and the second hook to one of the tentacles.  If the calamari or cuttlefish are dead, remove the two long tentacles they have.  Cuttlefish and calamari are also very good when dead, but they have to be fresh, ie caught within the preious 24hrs.

Mr FIsh has Owner live bait rigs ready to use that seem fantastic.  I will definitely give them a try since preparing live bait rigs is quite time consuming.  Speed must be below 1.5knots, and factor in the current when calculating the speed, ie if you are moving against the current, and the current is at one knot, do not exceed 0.5knots.

Rob

Kaptan Jr

Hey rob thanks for the info. but how much weight do you preferably use for live bait fishing?
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

rob1974

I have a 12-20lbs rod, and 30lbs multifibre in the reel.  The action of the rod is quite parabolic, so I cannot use heavy weights.  But with this setup I usually use 300gr, which enables me to fish up to -60m without any particular problem.  I previously had a 20lb, with a more rigid action, and that could take 500gr.  I probably could fish over 100m, but never actually tried.

Rob

Kaptan Jr

ok rob thanks for the help mate. I will try for sure

savioursajdbis

Regards Saviour