• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Help on Bait for deep drop

Started by ramio, June 05, 2008, 18:24:11 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

ramio

Hi Guys, I will be starting deep drop for the first time this season with electric reel. Could any one please give me some hints on best baits to use for the over 300m ranges?
I was told to use minimum 4/0 circle hooks, you need quite a good size bait to fill that hook. How you manage to keep bait on hook reeling all the way down there?

Thanks, any help greatly appreciated.
Can't wait to go fishing

busumark

cut big pieces of kavali, tumbrell or squid they wont come off the hook. if you use lacci and its a bit soft use elastic nylon from mister fish

ramio

Thanks Buzumark, are the circle hooks different to bait from the normal strait hooks? I'm using them for the first time. Heard that you need to leave the tip well clear or it will slip out of the fishes mouth easyly.
Can't wait to go fishing

busumark

i use normal hooks. but i think that all the hooks are the same you have to leave the tip out of the bait

ramio

Thanks Busumark. Looking forward to trying the new equipment, just hope my stomach will take it. Will be trying out some new pills recomanded by a friend.
Can't wait to go fishing

boneshaker

hi guys.ml nixtieq insaqsikom xi haga ...jin delittant ta sajd al hut tal qiegh bil qasba tar reel u nixtieq inkun naf aktar dwar dan it tip ta sajd.din is sena ga mort darbtejn u nista najd li kienu darbtejn bla kuragg ta xjn..jin narma bir runner u nuza harira .18mm al friegh u snanar generalment 9 jew 8 al matul il gurnata...gor reel andi harira .30mm.... tistaw tissuggeruli xi postijiet tajbin as sajd fin naha t isfel ta malta jin immur birgu xajra jew wid il ajn...tahsbu li adu kmieni iz zmien al dan it tip ta sajd?jin nuza il hniex tal korea bhala lixka.napprezza hafna l ajnuna takom..
thx

boneshaker

pls help me cause  i m hevent managed to make up a new topic myself

ramio

Hi Boneshaker, I havn't been shore fishing for the last 18 years. It was back when I used .45 on reel, and .40mm for tackle.......and still caughtnice qty. I think other forum members might help you more regarding best places. corean worms were always a favourite as bait. L'isla jsemmuha hafna.

good luck
Can't wait to go fishing

boneshaker

thx ramio.jista xi hadd iehor jghini ukoll ax qed inhoss li alkemm ili nistad u gieli qbadt xi hut sabih xorta adni ma naf xjn.

ramio

The only thing I know for sure is that there is always new things to learn no mater how much noledge and experience you have.
Can't wait to go fishing

boneshaker

PLS CAN YOU HELP ME MORE ABOUT SHORE BOTTOM FISHING WITH A REEL ROD.SUGGESTING  GOOD SPOTS IN THE SOUTH OF MALTA,BAITS AND MORE.

bigboy

You can fish from sure using the paternoster method. I find it very good when fishing int the morning or before it gets dark. good areas in the south are zonqor point, jerma area, wied iz zurrieq, mtahleb, freeport area.

boneshaker

WHAT HOOK SIZE DO YOU USE?WHAT BRAND?HOW THICH IS THE LINE ATTACHED TO THE HOOK?WHAT S THE BAIT?HOW MUCH THICK IS THE LINE INSIDE THE REEL?

boneshaker

PLS HELP ME CAUSE ALTOUGH I M NOT NEW TO FISHING I NEED GREAT ADVICES AND HELP.

The_Gaffer

Boneshaker - Reel line should be between 35 and 40.  As for the line attached to the hook, go for 25-26.  For hooks, try mustard long shank (tal-qasba twila) size 9.  Baity in during the day with shrimps.  For dusk, dawn and night use either xkall or worms (hniex)
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/