• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Coming to Malta next week and want to go fishing

Started by fruitloopy, June 18, 2008, 14:26:59 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

fruitloopy

Can you guys help?

I will be visiting your lovely island next week and would like to get a bit of local fishing in. I will be having a look at hopefully going out on a boat but this will depend on how much pocket money the wife gives me.

I would like to do some shore fishing but I dont know what tackle to bring, line to use and which baits are good. I am not specifically targeting any particular species, just anything that bites.

I have a 6 foot telescopic rod which I can fit in my luggage and I can bring a reel which I can put any line on up to 20lb if necessary but I was thinking of 6lb, will this be enough?

Hook sizes...what should I bring? I have some barbed spinners and lures as well, are they any good?
Techniques...I usually float, ledger or freeline over here, what works best over there?

I would really appreciate your advice, I am obsessed with fishing and would hate to spend an entire week without doing any!

Thanks,
Simon

skip

Simon, welcome. Can't commment much on shore fishing as I don't do it myself, but you'll be here during Albacore season if you go by boat and trolling for those is alot of fun. They range from 8-12kgs and are very fun to catch, basically Long Fin Tuna.

You might be able to find one of the forum members going out next week who would be willing to do cost sharing and take you along offshore.

placebo

hi simon,

if you go for some light ledgering you can enjoy some free time without spending so much!

just get a reel and a rod and off you go...you can purchase bait locally easily.

if you are staying in bugibba area just go to a local shop (tony's) in front of Mcdonalds (on the front) and you can get some stuff there. use pater noster rigs if you are in a rocky bottom like the bugibba area.

else as Skip instructed you can get a good time fishing albacore as it is in peak season.

Should you require more info i will message you my private phone and should you need some advice just ask and i will be of help.

the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

fruitloopy

Thanks for your help, I was actually aggravated that I was having to go on holiday when I would rather go fishing in the UK but now I am looking forward to it!

If there is anyone offering a place on a boat for a day then please let me know and I will certainly consider it.

I packed my 6 foot telescopic rod last night, reel with 6lb line and a 5lb spool for hooklength, hooks, swivels and clips, floats, weights and ledger weights. I do have a collapsible, telescopic landing net...do you think I need to bring that?

I am not sure where we are staying in Malta as my wife has arranged it all but I have a feeling its a place called Valletta, I'll try and find out though.

fruitloopy

Just found out its actually St Pauls Bay that we are staying. Are there local places there for shore fishing?

placebo

fruitloopy

I went fishing in the bays around St Pauls but mostly Xemxija as this is where we were staying. I caught a fish within an hour by touch ledgering a shrimp on a size 10 hook bought from the tackle shop in St Pauls Bay, thanks to the nice old guy in there. I think the shop was called Nautica?
The first fish I think was a Painted Comber or Burqax but I never got a picture of that.
I went a couple of days later in the same spot with my wife and caught a Saddled Breem or Kahlija and my wife caught a Rainbow wrasse or Gharusa. I caught another inbetween these two but I do not know what it is.

Can anyone Identify it for me please? I do know it was a real spiky little git though! His dorsal fin was like several razor blades. :o

The_Gaffer

The fish in the picture mate is a Tirda in Maltese Wrasse in English.  Its good for fish soup.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

fruitloopy

Sorry, just found another picture of one I caught and cannot identify it, can you help? I thought it was a painted comber or Burqax.

The_Gaffer

Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

SPITEC

FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

fishfinder

SPITEC is right, that fish is a comber (serran in Maltese). Usual this fish is found in deeper waters but in Malta all the fish are free to decide where it's best to live ;D :D ;D
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

skip

First one looks a bit on the small side, did you catch and release??

Second one on the other hand looks pretty big, how heavy was that?

placebo

nice time fruity! that's what malta is all about! a lot of small but....colourful and wonderful fish. Please do practice the catch and release as you do most shore fishing and catch the small creatures!

When you do get more experience then you learn the techniques and habits of fish and land bigger fish even from shores!

well done and have a nice holiday....by the way the shop is NOTANIC and the owner is a good old chap called Noel! further up the road just in front of the Mcdonalds fast crappy food type of restaurant there's a better shop Tony's Souvenier Shop (in my good old days i converted and convinced the owner to change to a fishing shop!) and to date he does not regret the move!

have a nice time....

adrian....