• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

First Forum Trolling Fishing Competition - 12th July

Started by skip, June 19, 2008, 09:09:53 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

shanook

One way to sort this in my opinion is for those interested in participating to post their boat size, where they berth. this way one can come some kind of decision without speculating what can happen

shanook

Jonathan

Skip, I followed up your comment and just did a search on fishbase - Malta and pelagic fish and amongst others you get lacci, tumbrell, kavalli, imsell, kavalli, lizz, stril... !
Lol I think that after reading this, you begin to understand why when there is an open competition (i.e. not just alungi) all the fish which count are listed beforehand and each species is given a certain number of points. Otherwise, one can just stay pottering inside a harbour with a canoe and if it's total fish caught which counts, he's guaranteed a sure win over the flashiest of sportsboats which would be fishing miles offshore for big game!  ;D

Re counting number of rods and handlines, how would you go about this - checking every compartment and nook and cranny and bag on every boat? How about spare lures? Just pop in a spool of nylon and voila - another handline is born! :) It would probably end up just asking the owner to give you his count and counting on honesty and sportsmanship.  Since I feel that none of these 2 approaches are practical I'ld say either do away completely with the penalty system or go for something simpler such as boat size, as it is generally proportionate to beam which enbales one to put more lines down if he so wishes. Lol the only disadvantaged person could be someone coming along with a sailing boat,  which is 30 or 40feet long but just around 4 feet wide at the stern, meaning 2 lines down max and put-putting out from Msida and back at 6 knots max. Hey on second thoughts I think I'ld be better off joining forces with someone else and leaving my boat resting on the day !!  ::)

Re finish point, I agree that this isn't an easy thing to settle. Who are the guys with their boats up North and what are their recommendations about this matter?
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

Jonathan

Re competitions, in the "national" Alungi competition which is co-organised by the Birzebbuga, Marsamxett and Wied Il-Ghin clubs (& I belive this year others are joining - if I'm not mistaken - Bugibba, Gnejna and Msida) the finish is the jetty at Birzebbuga for all boats even though they all start from different places. But I agree, I think that this would be a nuisance for guys with their boats berthed up North.
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

skip

We can definately settle on an agreed valid catch list, that's the least of our worries. By the same rationale, someone can be hiding alungi already on the boat, or hiding long lines etc etc. Isn't that why the clubs always check the boats first, to inspect these things? Obviously we can't be super enforcers, if someone really wants to go out of their way to cheat, I guess they will. I still don't like the idea of penalising a boat for it's size, though perhaps based on it's beam which tends to dictate how many lines you can deploy is a worthy idea. Or just stick with the honesty factor yes!

Quite a few people that I know of up North aside from myself, hopefully they will start posting as if no one from the North aside from me wants to take part we'll keep the departure point in the south.

shanook

As I said before first we establish who is joining in the competition. Regarding size or beam for me it doesnt make a difference. If i have an 8' beam and then I deploy outriggers I then can troll with 7/8rods. so its not the beam that will make the difference but the equipment. I think one should leave ones ingenuity and resources without imposing penalties. We are going to have fun and we will learn from mistakes and improve the next year.
What needs to be established if its an open competition that is for any fish and if so the points awarded for each species.
A quick search by the judges is quite normal but as nick said one can easily hide  or cheat but one is only cheating himself.
But I think those participating should meet up and come to a decision otherwise its going to be a bouncing ball with no decisions taken.
So guys those interested in the competition please step forward and be counted.

skip

My thoughts on the valid fish are:

Alungi
Bluefin Tuna
Pastardella
Swordfish
Sailfish

In all likeliness we will only be returning home with Alungi, and maybe a Bluefin or so. Am I missing any obvious ones or are we happy to settle on those?

The_Gaffer

I'm just not convinced with the decision to have only 4 rods fishing without incuring a penalty. Is this normal practice, why 4? Why not 3 or 2??? standard trolling spread is 5 lures/rods. What's the rational behind this proposal?.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

skip

Joe the thinking behind it is simply that given the width and available placing on most boats you tend to only get a realistic spread with 4 rods, at least that is what I have noted.

At the end of the day this isn't an IGFA or some accredited competition, and if those few people who seem to want to take part are happy leaving things open ended, for me it's absolutely no problem at all, we can eliminate all these things and break it down to real basics.

As they say guys, the choice is yours, whatever the majority decide on is what we will do :)

ramio

Hey Skip, I agree that all participating should be left to use as much rods/ lines as they want. What I think though is that two categories should be made regarding size of boat, say above 6m, and smaller than 6m. This will automatically have number of rods/lines out setled. The use of outrigers as Shanook said is a major decider. Personally I use them, but so far never employed more than 3 lines out. I go out there to enjoy myself not to catch loads of fish.
Now for a competition it may be different, but still sportsmanship is what its all about. Myself I'm not keen on competitions, but may offer to help out with the organising on the day.
Can't wait to go fishing

shanook

Me i wouldnt want the gaffer to have a class on his own. I want to compete with whover is there. I always say fish catch u and not the other way round. No I prefare an open type of competition where u do the best of what u have and compete with the rest.
It we are going for beam... then why not make penalties for those who have GPs as not every one has it..and that helps in finding ridges so its an aid to catching fish....and how about fishfinders who can detect thermoclines.... no we will never make an end of it... I prefare a free for all... thats just my opinion....

busumark

Go for it shanook. you are looking forward to beat the Gaffer. i am working day on the 12th july but even if am not working i am a beginer for alungi so you can beat me easily

shanook

no mark its not a matter of beating anyone. But I like a fair competition open to everyone. As everone knows part of fishing is luck and part making the most of what is presented to u.

skip

The general consensus of those replying seems to be an open competition, I still think we should stick to a general trolling competition and name the fish species that count. Are you all in agreement with the points system I mentioned earlier on?

shanook