• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Cooking Albacore

Started by placebo, June 26, 2008, 22:15:49 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

placebo

I found out the Albacore fillets make prefect fish and chips the english way in breadcrumbs.

Also this year we started doing the alungi balls (pulpetti) which we found very very very good.

there's an interesting video on YOUTUBE on how to fillet an albacore.

::) :P :-[ :-* :-* :-* :-*
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

dcassar

Hi All...

Long tims since my last post - but work has been killing me and to be honest I finally got out on the water just yesterday (nothing great btw).  My favourite way to cook albacore is cut it in 1 - 1 11/2" fillets - I marinate it in a bit of lemon, oil and soy sauce (sometimes Teriyaki) and a bit of hot pepper for about 1 hour - then it's on the BBQ for no more than about 3 minutes each side - don't overcook or it will dry out!!

clutch_kick

I bet Albacore sashimi would taste good.  Especially if the fish is really fresh!
Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.

placebo

clutch_kick

Raw fish, sliced very thin.  it's a japanese way of preparing fish.

Simon G

ever tried albacore smoked it is lovely. :o :o
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

clutch_kick

heh ... i bet it's good.  I need to ask this canadian colleague to tech me how to build a small smoke house. Then i can smoke my own fish and meats.

While on the subject.  Albacore is fantastic preserved in oil.  You basically need to boil the fish nearly whole, quarter it in bits that will fit in your STERILISED jars, drop a red pepper (optional), cover it in oil and close the jar tightly.  The fish will keep for a long time, and no canned tuna will even come close to it.

dcassar

It's actually quite easy to set up your own smoker (I don't know maybe it's because I'm Canadian also) - in fact I have my own bullet smoker at home - basically you can smoke fish in a large cardboard box, using an electric hot plate, some tin foil (to make the smoke pouch) and some wet wood shavings - the hardest part in Malta is getting some good wood shavings....

clutch_kick

Quote from: dcassar on June 29, 2008, 20:02:30 CET
It's actually quite easy to set up your own smoker (I don't know maybe it's because I'm Canadian also) - in fact I have my own bullet smoker at home - basically you can smoke fish in a large cardboard box, using an electric hot plate, some tin foil (to make the smoke pouch) and some wet wood shavings - the hardest part in Malta is getting some good wood shavings....

You're not related to Jason Cassar, are you?

dcassar

Yes actually - he is my little brother!! From your sig I am assuming you are also a pilot....

djc

clutch_kick

jjeeezzee the world is soo small hahaha  ... yes I am.

shanook

well trolling at 456Kts from 39000 feet is not going to be done from a dingy i suppose LOL

placebo

thanks for info guys! i'll try the suggested methods