• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Sajd Bir-Rixa Guidebook

Started by Jonathan, July 22, 2008, 14:32:34 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Quote from: benri on April 09, 2008, 17:01:19 CET
Thanks Jonathan.  Any news re the book?

Hi Benri,
This is just to confirm that this morning, I have just received the first copies of the fishing guide-book "Sajd Bir-Rixa" from the publisher. It contains just under 120 pages of full colour photos and detailed explanations (in Maltese) of the trolling technique for each fish present in our waters - info like the season in which every fish is present (fishing calendar for Malta), best type, colour and size of lure, ideal boat speed, use of weights, type of line (thickness and length), distance from boat, ideal weather conditions, best time of day, etc.
The guide-book "Sajd Bir-Rixa" is available for 8 Euros and you can contact me on 99882615 if you'ld like a copy. :)
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

fishfinder

Jonathan,

please get some with you in the next BBQ so that who would be intersted will get one.
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

Jonathan

Good idea Fishfinder - will do so too  :)

Gazzetta

Get me a copy @ the bbq pls.  ;)
10x

Chris  8)

bigboy

Johnathan can i order a copy ? is it possible to leave it with Manuel for me or else we can meet up thank you very much :)

DJS

Hi Jonathan, looks like a very useful and interesting book. Could you kindly reserve me a copy as well.

thanks

Dave
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

skip

redbus9

any chance of an english translation of the book comming out in the future please?
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

ramio

Hi Benri. Had a look at the lures you posted. They are all familiar to me, Still have most of them in my old tackle store. We used to use them when albacore started to be seen in big numbers. They are dangerous to use on hand lines as you cannot tell what you may get. The mayority of the hard lures were effective at the time with albacore. The stripped macharell is a favourit with sword fish and bigger tuna, hence the warning about hand lines.
The feathers are all favourits of mine for lampuki and small tunny, for the last more effective with one of the spiral in-line weights.
I stopped using those hard lures for albacore, favouring soft lures which gave better results. I enjoyed going through the pics, was like back in memory lane.
Can't wait to go fishing

Jonathan

Hi Skip & Redbus, yep I'm afraid so far it's only in Maltese but we are considering publishing a version in English in the future, no solid plans yet though.

@ Bigboy & DJS ok I'll reserve you a copy.

On MONDAY 4th AUGUST (i.e. next week) at 7pm, we're doing like a small official launch of the book and we're doing it at Msida, in the small garden where they do the gostra (right opposite the church, next to the pontoon tad-dilettanti). There will be copies of the book available for sale and Mister Fish is going to be sponsorsing some refreshments. Everyone is welcome to come - it should be nice to have the opportunity to meet other people who are interested in this method of fishing as all the local clubs are going to be invited.  :)

Maybe I'll create a specific forum thread for this shortly.

suffrun

hi Jonathan, would you kindly save a copy for me to. Sounds interesting.

bigboy

i will surely try to make it to the launch jonathan

kris

hi jonathan, :)

i really like to congratulate you for the book as it very very interesting and packed with fishing knowledge that must have taken you loads of hours to obtain. i have already read it all, as once you start reading it, it just hooks you up till the last page!

Well Done!!...and hope that other members from the forum will invest in such a fantastic book!!

kris
15ft Marino Atom 450 Powered by Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke Fuel Injection

28ft Luzzu Powered by Twin 45 Hp Perkins

Jonathan

Thank you Kris, I am glad that you are enjoying our book!  :)

The material in the book was collected from various sources - from Rio's and my own experience, from knowledge which we collected from several trips with local enthusiasts (some full time fishermen and others who do it part-time or as a sport), from a summation of relevant maerial which we found in loads of other books, magazines & online sources, as well as from the experience which other fishermen who passionately practice this type of trolling shared with me in some visits which I did to other Mediterranean countries -  mainly Sicily & Croatia.

It was truly a labour of love which took 3 years, and when I look at our book today I can't help but thinking how I would have loved to have such a fast-track "Learn what you need to know" option when I started out this type of fishing myself! It would have surely lessened the number of unfruitful experiences of fishing for fish at the wrong   time or in the wrong place or with an inappropriate set-up, or ....  :)

Having said this, as I told you I still believe that one should never stop learning - the book is a great launching pad which will take one up from complete novice level up to a very well informed and knowleddgeable sports-fishermen. However, one should not stop there - I believe that every fisherman should then always keep on trying to improve his technique further and to develop his own personal touches to it!

In the meantime, thanks once again Kris for your positive comments about our guide-book - it is a pleasure to receive any sort of feedback about the material which we are sharing in it.

camkev

Hi Jonathan,Well done for the book!!Like Kris I started reading the book and finished it!!Now i will read once again and hopefully will go fishing on your good advise ;D.Keep up your good work cause you are 1 of very few people that will share Fishing skills with other people.Cu early next week.Trolling for cudas.
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.