• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

depth charts

Started by claudevella, July 23, 2008, 19:47:04 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

claudevella

does anyone know where i can find some free depth charts of the south / south west area?

fishman

Hi, I bought one from Tomas Smith call them they are very help full (but it is not free) sorry mate.
Fish or Work, but you can't Fish without Work.

claudevella

Thomas Smith? Where can i find this shop? do you remember how much it was? Cheers

fishman

Now they just opened a new branch at Hal Luqa some where near Dinitrol shop.  (If you live somewhere in the south). Can I ask where you're from? because I live in Mellieha and if you want you can borrow mine so can make a photocopy of it and it won't cost you anything. It's been a long time since I bought it so I forgot how much it cost, sorry mate I thing it was around 12 maltese lira but really not sure.
Fish or Work, but you can't Fish without Work.

Jonathan

Guaci Borda at Msida & Gzira sell the charts too. Last time I checked they were around Lm14 each.
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

pupu

what do u exactly need a depth chart for? is it to help finding fish at a dropp off or a reef ? if yes how can you be sure without gps if your on the spot or not? im new to this forum and need help too.

thanks
selva 12ft dinghy with selva 30hp

skip

Guys bear in mind that the accuracy of most GPS's is down to around 200 meters or so sometimes more like 500m. So even if you're at the exact GPS co-ordinates you still need a sonar/fishfinder to pin point the actual ledge or drop off.

Charts are used for navigation and include bottom contours, show the locations of reefs etc and also show the depths. Whilst a GPS makes it much quicker for your to read off a map reference and go there, you can still use traditional navigation and plot your course from a known landmark, and then calculate your speed and the distance to work out the time you must spend on that bearing to reach the spot.

If you have a basic GPS and not a chartplotter, the chart lets you plot along ridges, go to reefs etc.

pupu

will the c-map for apnea work cause it looks quite detailed and sikka il bajda off lahrax seems quite big to miss.
if i catch we make a bbq!!!
selva 12ft dinghy with selva 30hp

claudevella

I just wanted to know where i can go deep sea fishing. mscala to zurrieq area could get quite deep at times. got a gps without chart plot and i mark a couple of places on it then go out boating to the prechosen spots. The gps manual says it is acturate to 3m. guess the americans shift the gps bea rings every now and then just to annoy us.....