• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

2stroke or 4stroke

Started by claudevella, July 28, 2008, 14:50:07 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

claudevella

I go trolling and have a 4.3lt inboard 190hp 4 stroke and a 8hp outboard aux. 2 stroke. I am confused which would be the most fuel efficient whilst trolling the big engine or the 2 stroke engine?

fishfinder

It depends how big is your boat. when you use the out board what speed can you reach with 1/2-2/3 gas?
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

blueskip

If you can achieve 3Kn SOG with a pair of oars, then use them, 3Kn SOG is about all you really need I reckon, unless you are fishing a string of teasers for marlin or billfish, but having never done it, only seen it 8)
I dont know how big your boat is, but if your 8HP is a true "auxillary", it should have the power to push you along fast enough to troll, at a fraction of the cost of the other engines.
blueskip
Blueskip

claudevella

its a 21ft boat goes to some 4knots at 3/4 throttle

skip

You really need to check the rpm's you are hitting on the aux with your current prop. It could be that the prop is too aggressive for the weight of the boat and the engine is bogging down. This is what's happening to me, whether I'm at 2/3 throttle of full there's hardly any change. Basically the prop is preventing my engine from getting to its ideal WOT wide open throttle range, so I need to decrease the pitch to compenstate and should push me faster as well.

claudevella

yes thats true. The motors come with a standard prop which is a compromise btw a good push and top speed for a smaller boat. hence on a bigger boat you get a lot of slippage. in fact the water is very bubbly around the prop. So a smaller pitch should do the job.   Unfortunately the manual tells you to consult the dealer (i guess the japs do not know how friendly and at times dumb maltese dealers are!) with regards to getting a suitable prop without ruining the gear case. I am trying to get a second hand one over from ebay... will see

skip

What prop do you have on at the moment? Can you read off the markings?

claudevella

will get u the markings during the weekend....

claudevella

Prop markings 9x7-C or (9x7-G - not clear).

skip

Claude, first marking is the diameter in inches and the second is the pitch. You might want to try a 6P if you aren't noticing much difference between 2/3 and full throttle. Listen to see how much the engine pitch changes and the speed as well. If both changes are minimal then chances are the engine is not revving up and then a lower pitch prop will definately help.

claudevella

you know where i could get a good price one... maybe ebay. if you are interested we can share postage

skip

I need to get one for my 9.8hp as have too much pitch on that as well. Was looking at www.steeldevelopments.com

See if they have a prop for you and let me know, would be a good idea re: postage

skip

Btw what engine do you have that prop on at the moment. Basically you're either over-pitched or under-pitched.

Prop I have on my Tohatsu 9.8hp 4 stroke is a 8.9 x 8.3P, whereas for heavier boats they recommend an 8.9 x 7 or 8.5 x 6.5

Any ideas how many splines you have on your prop? Could be that you need more pitch maybe in which case you could try my prop and maybe I could try yours as I definately need less pitch.

claudevella

8hp 2 stroke engine.....yamaha enduro...prop...9x7C or 9x7G (not very clear) ...  what do you think?

skip

I would be inclined to say you need a 8.7 x 5P 4 bladed high thrust prop but it seems that at least Solas dont make a 8 spline prop that you need for your Yamaha.