The_Gaffer

Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Gazzetta

camkev

Ok boys.I got her on the mobile.Thanks a lot from joe ;)
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

Gazzetta

Sent a msg aswell as mob was busy !!

Chris  8)

The_Gaffer

Thanks guys, I have internet on the boat but no mobile
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

jean

hey gaffer all ok, told her you on the way in. someone else contacted her too so all is meant to be ok boss :) keep us posted with the catch and have a safe return

jean

since you have internet, you should try using skype. all you have to do is top up with something like ten euros and you can call around the world no prob. there is a system on how to get it on mobile, whilst if its a pc you have you would have to use a headset (mic and headphones).

skip

Now that is one way I had not forseen the forum being used :)

Thanks to you guys who were online, msg was relayed through. Prosit

EmicMalta

jean, is there any possibility to install Skype to my boe? I spend a lot of time on this forum. We can install a webcam  8) 8) 8)

jean

sssshhhhhhh be quite emic, i have some ideas for that too :P

bigboy

i like the idea lol we are trolling and we can see each other on webcam whilst fishing :p imp one webcam should always be focussed on the gps looooool

The_Gaffer

Nick, I was out trolling and as usual my mobile battery went dead.  Always happens when I go to the west side of the island.  I know for sure that there are some reception black spots over there, and that gets the mobile searching for a provider, wasting up all the battery juice. 
Anyway, I also had my Blackberry with me(blackberry is a small hand held device which synchronises to your email server and also has internet facilities, among other features)...so I thought, why not find the most recent post on the MFF, and ask the guys to phone home (remember ET??)...the response was fantastic. My wife was sooooo impressed, she asked me if I had mobilised the AFM, I told her honey, if it was the AFM they'd still be trying to figure it out whether it was a hoax call or not. 
Thanks to the guys on the forum, Jean called, Keven (CamKev) called as well, Edward EmicMalta tried but couldn't get through, and that reassured her that all was well.  (I was supposed to be home by 4.00pm, and at that time I was still about 8 miles off the coast from Ghar Hasan!!!.)
Its great about the forum, and you will always find a few guys logged on at anytime. 
Once again, a big thankyou to all. 
Jean, I posted on another thread  http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php?topic=828.105 the daily fishing report.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Gazzetta

How did you manage to get an internet connection out there ????

Chris  8)

skip

Can you not make a voice call from a Blackberry? I thought they were a mobile phone as well as all the other fancy bits :)

Can just picture your wife first worrying when Jean called perhaps for a split second thinking something was wrong and then probably suprised/amused when a couple more people called to relay the same info. You need to get her on the forum and then as you go out you can be writing a live report tracking your progress hehe!

poor catch

FYI

Keep in mind that whilst at out at sea telephone contact with a person on land can also be made by using VHF. The call is routed via a land based station. If I recall correctly there is a nominal charge for this service. The charge is to a phone account.

Basically, if I recall all details precisely ( I stand to be corrected here though ), procedure is as listed below.

1 )  VHF user contacts Valletta radio ( or other coast station ) in normal manner.  Gives tel no and contact details of person he wishes to contact to radio operator. Radio Operator would request Boat's call sign and other boat details.

2 )  Land based station then connects VHF user and contact person. Communication is then carried out via VHF and phone.

If you are ever stuck out at sea and can get in touch via VHF with another vessel / coast station etc you would eventually be able to contact persons on land through VHF radio relay system.

The reverse applies too -  a  "land based person " may also contact a  person at sea or a vessel with a VHF set on. It's important that the " land based person " gives boat's call sign details and indicative channels that vessel's VHF set might be monitoring, so coast station could make contact.

BTW keep in mind that the actual conversation is not private as aired over VHF !

Hope the above info is useful.