• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

greetings to all MFF members

Started by The_Gaffer, August 03, 2008, 22:04:13 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

Hi All,
Just to say hello from Siracusa. We left port at 6.30am Sunday. Sea was so calm like we say in Maltese, qisu mera. Cruised the gaffer at 20knts, and by 9.15am, were adjacent to capo passero, then the wind picked up, and in 30min, we were heading into a F5 NE wind....had to take the speed down to 14knts, and it took us nearly another 2.5 hrs to make it to Siracusa port, since I decided that instead of heading straight across, I detured to port and made a wide arc to find some shelter inland. No sense in heading straight with F5 winds pounding the bows. The gaffer took the waves well, but since we had little Julian with us, we decided to aviod the hassle of head on seas. At 1st, the little one just sat up wide eyed, looking at the waves and spray hitting the bows, but when we detured into the wide arc, and brought the speed up to 18knts again, he decided the excitment was over and slept. That's my boy!!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Jonathan

Hi Joe, that's amazing how the weather can change as soon as you round Capo Passero!
Did u book a pontoon in Siracusa or did they have available?

We should be leaving next Thursday by night, probably for Marzamemi, and at the moment I am doing some research on the Internet regarding trolling by night as I'll have a whole night crossing the channel going at just under 6 knots - apparently abroad by night they do catch yellowfin tuna, blackfin tuna (I don't believe this is found in the Med) as well as swordfish. However unfortunately, the sites seem to indicate a full mooon night as tghe best & on Thurs there will hardly be any moon at all. Issa naraw.

BTW yesterday I was out giving a sailing course and a point whilst I was sailing slow (around 1-2 knots maybe) I got a huge shoal of accol (around 50 at least and maybe 3-4kg each) swimming right behing my boat. If I had a harpoon I could have easily speared them from on board the boat, but as soon as I put a lure down (yo-zuri pipe qisu msella), tgerrxu and they left.  :-[

Enjoy your holiday!
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

skip

Hi Joe, wow what a contrast from calm weather to a F5! The boat can definately take it but must have been a tad uncomfortable. I take it no further issues with the diesel?

Have fun :)

fishfinder

Hello Gaffer,

Hope you'll find good weather on your way back and have fun ;)
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

Gazzetta