• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Current Views on 2008 Lampuki Season?

Started by skip, September 08, 2008, 11:19:00 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Fishing for Lampuki isn't really my thing, not because I don't like it but more that I've not really geared myself up for it in terms of rigs/lures when compared to Alungi/Tuna etc. They're definately great fun to catch and just as good to eat, so as I know many many people like to go out fishing for them, let me ask:

'What do you think of the 2008 season so far?'

Has it been more productive than usual, have things gone quiet, have you found the West Coast more productive than the East Coast, for that matter what are the East coast catches like this year.

Would be good to hear everyone's viewpoint.

Skip

busumark

first 2 weeks was good but last week there werent a lot of lampuki. last week the most catches were from land with lmrejkba from imtahleb

suffrun

This year was my first attempt. I caught only 2 a few weeks ago by the tuna pen of SPB. I heard that it was early for lampuki to be so close to land.

Barbun

caught one yesterday after 4 hrs trolling from under ghar hassan, poor catch

placebo

from my point of view i think it was a good season so far.
It's just you have to be lucky with lampuki! The more the time you have to go out there the more you might be lucky to find them.

The early August days were very good since there were not a lot of FADs around and lampuki got very very near land and were not so much scattered.

I always fish the south part (BBugia -Filfla area) and we made some good catches. In one outing i surpassed the 100 fish mark but that was a one off day as i was very lucky to be out there alone trolling between 2 single FADs.

In all the other outings i always caught from 5 - 30 fish.

Now i'm looking for the wonderful part of it ... when the lampuka grows to reach the good wieghts of 2 - 3kg. The time is from October - November when you catch the big sized ones using slices of klamari instead of the artificial baits. At this time of the year you do not need to travel so much. The lampuka gets very much near land and slow trolling with pieces of fresh klamari is very good thing to try.
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

shanook

thats the south side thats why i like fishing there. on the north side it starts good then eases off. we had decent catches early in season now its a matter of being lucky to catch 3 lampuki. the west is a bit better than St pauls. Gozo also fares better especially the north side  thats my 0.02c

EmicMalta

Last 2 years I didn t went but I don`t remember lampuki as poor as these years. Yes this year we caught some and as speaking with friends that didn t catch and we do nice catches,. I can say that we get and take our chance, but this year I can t find an FAD taht you can say "I done it from a single cima". Total we caught 146 lampuki in 6 outings and have to say that even the size is nice due that we started a bit late cos of the size.

we went out 6 times and only one we had some fun that we found 1-2 lampuki on each FAD

Now it s time to try with a 6.3mm spear and 21mm rubber loaded to the maximum  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LapsiBoy

I think this year hasnt been that bad ..atleast 2 weeks ago we caught 215 in a week !! but now things have calmed down alot !!i go from lapsi

Jonathan

So far this season I have only encoutnered lampuki twice. Once off Fairway buoy and that was a month ago, and last Saturday 6th Sept off a ship on Hurd's bank. Went past several cimi, both on west and east coast but they alll seemed totally empty.
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

sirena

perfectly right the fad's r empty due to the fact that the fishermen's  r  throwing nets for lampuki by night  they managed to find a   good method .i am referring to the east fad's
always want to fish.... why.... cos fun ux!!!

EmicMalta

even on the west side my friend. Go from Ghar hasan and Dingli cliffs at night and you can see them with the search light. Why even cervjol its hard to see under neet them? Cos they pic them all up

pupu

got told that others are catching with konz ta wicc with tunagg as bait , anybody had good results withths method??
selva 12ft dinghy with selva 30hp

shanook

naaaaaa fisherman have been nettin g lampuki at night for quite some time. And we still found lampuki on tad dilettanti. But now it seems that even those are not being productive. I went when we had some rough weather so no xbiki and a lot of the boats didnt go out, not saying I was alone mind u, but not all that traffic and still no lampuki to talk about. Cant figure out yet. Another thing lampuki are still small, we used to get some decent sized ones by now. there are some, but if u catch 10 only 2 or 3 are decent sized.

EmicMalta

Quote from: pupu on September 09, 2008, 07:20:03 CET
got told that others are catching with konz ta wicc with tunagg as bait , anybody had good results withths method??

we do that nearly each time and sometimes we mix the bait. There is no difference even we tried with fresh tunnag and we didn t saw any difference. An inportant thing is that it works if there is not so much current.

LapsiBoy

We dont use tunagg on konz tal lampuki but fresh clamari