• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Whats the minimum size of fish to keep?

Started by intermilan, September 26, 2008, 06:58:04 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

intermilan

Small question regarding size.

If you are fishing from the sore with gambli or squid and you are casting out, usually you catch the regular bottom feeders. Now these come in all sizes. Lots of people like to keep them regardless of size for fish soup. Is this good or bad? ??? ???

And what is the minimum size for catch and release? (if the fish is not injured to much)

skip

Have a read through this (attached), in general for most species the minimum size is 115mm or 11.5cm with some exceptions.

markcam

What are the exceptions?  Or better, where can I find the list of species and the legal size limits that can be captured? 

Robert

Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

skip

You basically have the English version in the one I posted and the Maltese version in the link robert gave.

Page 18 onwards of this EU document list the species and min sizes in more detail.

intermilan

Ok that I understand, but for example when you go fishing for bottom fish on a boat, usually people keep all the fish and I doubt they are all legal size, and usually they are not wasted they are used to eat.

Correct me if I am mistaken. ???

charlie

sometimes when you are bottom fishing from a boat, small fish if are released will not make it to the bottom if you are fishing in deep waters,and they will die

intermilan

that is my point so rather than let them die, we can atleast eat them :-\

charlie

agree with you if in shallow waters they will survive if released but released in deep waters they will propaply die

rammx

when deep sea fishing fish die because of the difference of pressure in the sea,,,so its pointless throwing them back

Robert

Ooops...sry Nick did not notice yr attachment!  :-[
Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

Tatanka

The only way I think you can try and avoid that is with the size of hooks you use , try using bigger hooks to avoid catching the small fish!!! altough you have the serran & burqax will go for big hooks too. To be honest I have seen people catching not more then 9cm long pagell & pagri. We just have to be honest with ourselves & if we do catch small fish & belive it will survive just throw it back.
Galia 440 outboard 40 Tohatsu

blueskip

It isn't a matter of whether they live or die, you will find that the legislation is "that it is illegal to LAND any fish that is below the MLS for that species", anglers must throw them back DEAD OR ALIVE or take a chance on being prosecuted for possessing undersized fish.
Likewise commercial fishermen have to return all undersized fish, plus, if they catch fish that dont have any quota left on them, they also have to be returned dead or alive, regardless of size, e.g. If a commercial boat caught a BFT of 1000kg AFTER the close of the season, it would have to be returned as a DISCARD even if it was dead! Its the EU's crazy way of dealing with problems ??? It would make sense to land fish that are caught, then deduct them from the next quota so that only the right amount are removed, but nothing is wasted, unfortunately that makes sense, so it wont be entertained! :o
blueskip
Blueskip

Ruzett

Which number can I phone to report someone in possession of fish which is below the minimum size, please?