• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Charter to Sicily

Started by baghira, April 07, 2010, 09:57:41 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

baghira

The famous spearo group ;D of this forum is proudly going for a spearfishing/relaxing charter to Sicliy.

We will be 5 persons in all assisted by our female partners.

Departing on the 17th July until the 21st.
Trip costed us 2400 euro divuided by 10 persons.
Boat Beneteau cyclades 50.5 sailing boat.
5cabins +1
4 double beds, one double bunk cabin, 2 fridges, 3wc ensuite +1, 4 showers
This price includes the skipper.
We just need to add food and drinks (from local market), 1 night marina approx 100 euro, and fuel depending on weather conditions 180 approx if engines are on.

Mind you......It wil not just be a spearfishing charter............ ;D ;)

This will also be part of the honeymoon of our friend freediver.

Hope we enjoy it. I am sure we will/
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

camkev

good luck Baghira & co,that boat is very nice went to see two of them.Very spacious interior.the only problem that we found like i told you before was it has 2 fridges but no freezers...and we needed the freezer especially for the bait!!The price is good also,you know what engine it has?Cause a friend of mine told me that it runs aprrox 10 litres an hour if it has the big engine.Well goodluck for your trip and hope you will all have fun and catch a lot of fish.We will be going just 15 days before you but to Lampedusa side..well done and enjoy to the most.
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

baghira

Don't know the engine but, he told me that the above is the approx consumption.
I saw the engine, because he is very clean, and you could eat spaghetti in the engine compartment.

shanook

Good luck and have fun....congratulations freediver welcome to the club

baghira

Well we just came back from sicily.

I have to say that trolling is definitely not my sport.... Dear Nick gave me a rod and reel and I trolled with them all the way to Taormina and back. A total of approx 35 hours without a single bite.

We had two rods in the water, and were trolling at about 7/8 knots. The lures were yozuri hydro one blue, one white and red head, and we had some others. They were being trolled behind the boat about 160 feet, and some of the times we also put a weight some meters previous to the lure. We only caught a nice plastic bag, and a 'Konz tal-pixxispad'.

Re: Spearfishing.... We were also unlucky with that..... The seabed was much less rich than what we taught. All flat and coved with posidonia with very few hiding places.  The sea was very shallow, since that 1 mile out it was still 35 meters deep. We did not see anything in the first few days.
Then at least the last day we saw some fish, unfortunately this was in a Nature Reserve (Isola Bella Taormina) which was full of seabream. Then we found a nice area, and we saw some fish although that the catch was poor. I will upload a picture soon.

Re: All the rest it was a fantastic experiance, and we realy had fun and enjoyed ourselves. At least we managed to cook some fish onboard.

baghira

Any comments guys re: trawling!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was it just bad luck or something we did wrong???

Jonathan

Hi Baghira, We always leave a line or 2 behind us when we are travelling to Sicily or back by sailing boat. In such a case, it is pretty much a hit or miss thing. I once had a charter where we went all the way up along Sicily's East coast, through the straits of Messina, around the islands of Lipari, Vulcano, Stromboli, etc and back and we did not get one single fish. It depends on manyt hings - the speed that you were travelling at, the size of the lures that you put down (eg. when we used to put small lures down to target tumbrell, kubrit, plamti, etc) we rarely had a trip without catching a few fish. When we moved up in size of lure to target bigger species, the catches become rarer but much larger in size (eg. big pastardell, alongi, etc). Weatherwise it shouldn't make much of a difference as we've caught in flat calm waters and even in Force 5 to 6 under sail at 8 to 9 knots. So yep, though I don't know the details of how you were trolling, I would say it is pretty much a matter of luck as to whether you cross over migrating fish or not.
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

baghira

The lures are the ones in the pic.

Trolling at 8 knots. sometimes I added a weight for a change.
Length of line was about 40/45 qami.

Jonathan

Those lures are good - i have similar ones and caught on all 3. As I said it's probably a matter of not having travelled over migrating shoals of fish

baghira

At least
Its good to hear that I've done all I could, and I did it good.

Seems that I am a bit unlucky.

skip

Quote from: FREEDIVE on July 23, 2010, 07:48:24 CET
Baghira, I m sure you were using the wrong lures. I will send you the proper Yo-Zuri with a friend tonight. My friend can even come out on your rib and teach you how to fish.

Mike - I'm curious about the wrong lures? Both myself, Seafox and Gaffer all found the Yozuri Hydro Magnum very effective this year. Whilst the Red/White wasn't a hit with Alongi it's known to be a winner with BFT.....??

skip

Interesting stuff Mike......Red/White (Red Head White Body) in Rapala's, Hydro's and even some skirted lures have always been the most productive lures for me but this year was a different story. But pleased to hear you had great results with them, I'll keep deploying them!

SEAFOX

Same posting + additions as that under the lure pic :
Hi Skip & Baghira & all the other guys - do not be surprised at all that you get no strikes crossing from Malta to Capo Passero, or any part of the Sicilian southern coast. Xejn mhemm, cimiterju kbir hi. Many years back it was a little different; yes you would get a big Plamtu, Pastardella or a fat Kubrita. I do the trip a few times a year joining my brother on his sailing boat, our intention is not to go fishing but to have a "good time" visiting as many restaurants as possible "over there", really making piggies of ourselves, No comments pls. Jonathan cos you know Bobby and what he lives for hehehe!! So as to do something useful during the voyage we follow the reefs and other specifics on his FF/Chart. I always let out 2 rods, or "broom sticks" as they have been called by some charming chaps, tried everything imaginable, assortment of lures, plugs, big rixhas, whatever..... Result: In about 20 journeys (1200 miles!) to & from  Sicily we only managed, 3 years ago, one huge hook, 15 miles out of Porto Palo, 450 yds of braid gone like a flash, tried to hang on to the fish like an idiot screaming to my brother to turn his 50ft boat around which he hardly did, he was more interested in his huge plate of Lasagne than what I had on my pole, line broke, total loss....Ahhhh... we have to admit that the Med is practically "dead"...so said Jacques Cousteau in 1965. He also explored the oceans of the world aboard his vessel "Calypso", its most interesting to read this great man's biography. 

skip

Thanks for the info Colin :)

Indeed fishing in the Med is tough given it's considered to be a 'dead sea'. When are we going to plan a fishing holiday outside of the Med?

I've heard that Madeira is excellent for Marlin and that Kenya has some excellent fishing and isn't expensive once you get there.

What do you think http://www.kenyasportfishing.net/ (End Feb/Begining March seems to be prime large sailfish season)

Jonathan

Lol good one Colin... I can just imagine you holding the rod and Bobby on the wheel with other things on his mind and that typical questioning look of his on his face!  :D

I have also done the trip several times and it was only on one trip that we had come across 2 nice fish - a pastardella and an alonga. Then there has been the occasional big lampuka. I know of a few other occasions in which friends of mine hooked onto something bigger but you can count these instances on one hand even though I have been involved in the boating community as long as I have years, and several of my friends do the trip several times a year.

So yep, I would definitely agree that a morning trolling the west coast is more likely to be productive than 10 trips Malta-Sicily.